What's new
What's new

Burke Powermatic 333

Criprippin

Plastic
Hello guys, I'm new to milling but just starting out with a cherry,
Burke Powermatic 333 Horizontal Mill, it has all the original paint, not a scratch on it, power feeds on the X/Y and Z axis ,i paid $800 for it and I believe it's an early 80's model, it says ,general machinery and equipment corporation, Richmond Virginia on one of the tags, its comes with all the bells and whistles for the time, and has seen very little use, but before I pick it up and audition it from the seller can anybody tell me what to look for, and what I don't want to see or hear ?

I had one for a few years and as others have written they were very simple. By "bells and whistles for the time" I would think you mean it was the H/V version? Don't think there were many options. They seemed to fairly common here in the Burgh at one time in small shops and school shops. I bought mine at a School auction thinking my then Millrite's ram would just slide in and turn it into the H/V. The millrite was in small space with only room for a few machines and only one mill. Well it turned out the ram would not swap over directly. I used the 333 for a time set up at work and then sold it I believe on PM. Mine had the factory X feed and added on knee feed, X and Y DRO and an extra master gear box with the stick shift.
Can't remember if it was one or the other or both but the X gib on some Burkes / Powermatics / US machines could only be adjusted after removing the table. Not the best design but some did have a better setup.

Andy

Back