What's new
What's new

Alternatives to MSC

dodgin

Hot Rolled
I jumped on here and hit the search bar right away, figuring that this topic has probably been discussed pretty in depth on a pretty regular basis. If there's another thread to be directed to that I wasn't able to find, a link would be appreciated.

Otherwise, the long story turned short is probably a very familiar scenario - MSC increasing prices for boosted margins year after year, our company simply isn't putting up a fight against it. Result is that we're being bent over a barrel after some significant amount of time working with them, and now the company is ready to have MSC trim it back or pack up and leave.

We've got the whole tool boss set up that gets replenished a couple of times a week. Contains everything from PPE to indexable drill inserts. Think big machine shop/fab dept/assembly, 150-200 floor employees. Question to the lot of you is what suppliers are ready to step in and fill the needs we have for supplies and do it at a better price than MSC currently is? Any Michigan guys out there that might be able to point me in the direction of someone more local? I had an Alro Industrial rep stop by not long ago...has anyone found them to have all the essentials at a reasonable price?

Thanks for any input, including a link to another thread if more appropriate.

fwiw & imho,
NOT a full line replacement, however, Zoro.com beats the hell out of MSC generally and they run 20-25% sales across the board regularly. Nothing excluded... Another small company that I MISS is ENCO. Now that they are MSC Direct Completely, there IS no such thing as a deal from them. I know this is largely NOT what you are looking for, however, Zoro has proven to be the only serious competition that they have. Granted I realize a job shop cannot wait on 20-35% deal day/week when you have to get product out of the door. That said it can't hurt...

Regards, Matt.

Where in Michigan are you? Have you tried Production Tool Supply?
Strelingers
ABB
Edward Andrews
There are many

i like PTS too. there used to be a branch in Macon , then Atlanta called TTS or something . nice people , but
thanks to the scumbag that MSC has become...they're gone too. kinda' like Airgas bought out all the local
welding supply. the argon tanks got incrementally smaller , then incrementally more expensive.

We're on the far west side of Michigan, a bit north of Grand Rapids.

As far as I know the company has only really used MSC, maybe a bit of Grainger. When I first started here I called in a local rep I've been working with for a long time to write up a small quote for us on some tools. Big no-no, it really chapped some asses that I was unwittingly attempting to undercut MSC. There seems to be a lot of loyalty to the actual MSC rep that comes in here a couple times a week. The big thing here is that they have the entire tooling management system set up, so MSC knows what we have and what we need at all times. They want to investigate full fledged replacements for the entire system that's in place.

I don't have experience with sticking to any one supplier for all tooling needs. Typically I've been places where we find what we need, get a quote, then cheap quote gets the order.

Fastenal does the whole tool/gear vending machine thing, auto replenishment, all that jazz. Can't say how the prices compare though.

Fastenal, Grainger, MSC, and some local companies can all do the replenishment. What a previous employer did was to work up a list of what was used in the past year and get the three companies (Fastenal, Grainger, and a local place) to bid on it. This would be even easier (logistically that is, not politically) because you can just print off the list of what you bought from MSC over the past year.

Production Tool has a branch in Grand Rapids. I get most of my tooling from smaller tooling companies, but for the stuff they don't carry, I usually get it from Production.

Mcmaster is famous for not carrying about little customers same as Graingers. they want to deal with big companies.
many Graingers if you go there they will refuse to sell unless it is to a business. no personal sales
but Mcmaster although not the cheapest usually they sell better products

Mcmaster is famous for not carrying about little customers same as Graingers. they want to deal with big companies.

That hasn't been my experience at all. McMaster has charged me the same amount and given me the same good service whether I was at a large company, my own small company, or just ordering personally and shipping to a home address.

That hasn't been my experience at all. McMaster has charged me the same amount and given me the same good service whether I was at a large company, my own small company, or just ordering personally and shipping to a home address.
Mcmaster tends not to send catalog to anybody but companies or at least that was the way 20 years ago. if internet sales by charge card they may allow sales to individuals and not just businesses.
i have been to local industrial supply company and ask how much and told $75, but who do you work for? i say its for myself. they ask but who do you work for ? i give company name and show my id badge they say price is $15. that quite a price difference. i ask why. they say cause professional and big companies insist on better discount than for individuals and if they got same price they would take their business else where.

Mcmaster tends not to send catalog to anybody but companies or at least that was the way 20 years ago. if internet sales by charge card they may allow sales to individuals and not just businesses.
i have been to local industrial supply company and ask how much and told $75, but who do you work for? i say its for myself. they ask but who do you work for ? i give company name and show my id badge they say price is $15. that quite a price difference. i ask why. they say cause professional and big companies insist on better discount than for individuals and if they got same price they would take their business else where.

McMaster sent me the 2016 catalog (122), and I don't think I even asked for it. The whole McMaster catalog process seems pretty random, though I find I hardly use the paper catalog as their website is so good.

The local industrial supply places like Grainger rip you off it you're not a big customer, but, even with a big company discount, we still bought lots of stuff from McMaster.

McMaster sent me the 2016 catalog (122), and I don't think I even asked for it. The whole McMaster catalog process seems pretty random, though I find I hardly use the paper catalog as their website is so good.

The local industrial supply places like Grainger rip you off it you're not a big customer, but, even with a big company discount, we still bought lots of stuff from McMaster.

McMaster is convenient cause they sell so many products. without the catalog telling a difference between Mcmaster and Amazon is difficult. if anything Amazon has a good and fast delivery system. possibly better at delivery

I disagree! Mcmaster my #1 vendor, personal and business. We had an intern that ordered the wrong material for a senior project, Mc master sent the correct item when the kid hung up the phone. They were good to a college kid that had never ordered from them before.
They also listen to product feedback carefully. Yes they are pricey, but i get what i need by 10:00 am next day.

many Graingers if you go there they will refuse to sell unless it is to a business. no personal sales
but Mcmaster although not the cheapest usually they sell better products

I disagree! Mcmaster my #1 vendor, personal and business. We had an intern that ordered the wrong material for a senior project, Mc master sent the correct item when the kid hung up the phone. They were good to a college kid that had never ordered from them before.
They also listen to product feedback carefully. Yes they are pricey, but i get what i need by 10:00 am next day.
most likely in the age of internet ordering and using a charge card they willing to do business with small customers and things change from decades before.
i have even heard they prefer corporate charge card rather than billing and getting paid 30 to 90 days later. charge card is easier. and if company goes bankrupt they already got paid for items sold. bankrupt company deals with charge card company

Back