What's new
What's new

Buying Brass... H59? H62?

melmar

Plastic
Hello,
I am developing a product with 3 plates, one of the plates is to be made of brass. The plate needs to be brass due to its color and metallic properties. The brass supplier from China default brass option is H59.

I don't know much about metallurgy and need some advice on this. From a quick search online I understand that there is lead content in this brass and that for for example for water pipes the brass must be H62 or higher.
In my product (a novelty gift) the brass is going to be encased by stainless steel and glass. Is there any reason why H59 should not be used?

In addition, I would like that the gold color of glass is maintained for years, what kind of finish should be applied to this plate to keep it this way?

Thank you!

The brass that looks closest to gold is called cementation brass. Sadly, you'll probably have to make it youself as it started to fall out of use almost 300 years ago when they figured out how to extract elemental zinc in the western world.

If you can sub bronze for brass, aluminum bronze has a very attractive gold-like color when polished, tarnishes slowly, and it takes form tools well (if you go sloooow).

Here is a pen I made from aluminum bronze, for color reference:

retrofit_held.jpgcapped_held.jpg

Brass and Bronze will all tarnish and turn dark to various degrees....
If the bright color is a design requirement,and it needs to remain so over time, then use brass and have it gold plated....
Cheers Ross

don't worry, the chinese communists will call it all
gold , regardless.

the new "brass" standard economy .

i guess you missed the news..... they plated copper
bars that were stamped as gold bullion, and leveraged
a few billion dollars against the "collateral"

On clocks they used to apply a clear lacquer to the brass plates. I suppose these days it is some synthetic varnish. But be careful not to fill in the bearings. Personally I like the look of engine turned brass.
Bill D

As most brasses are around half the weight of gold (literally), then either the folks validating the "gold" used as collateral were either criminally complicit, or criminally stupid. Either way, glad it stayed in-country and wasn't used in Western dealings (at least, I hope that's the case).

Edit - in reading the link, it looks like it was copper, not brass used as a base for the fake bricks, so a little closer in density (8.5 g/cm3 for brass, 9 g/cm3 for copper, 19.3 g/cm3 for gold). It also seems an earlier fraud used tungsten encased in actual gold, which is tricky to find without more careful testing, as its mass is quite close to gold's.

interesting....i'm getting warnings from my internet
and cell phone providers that there was an "attempt"
to access my account(s) by an unauthorized party.

in the future, i promise to chairmen , meow, that
i won't complain about anything ever again.

Last edited:
As most brasses are around half the weight of gold (literally), then either the folks validating the "gold" used as collateral were either criminally complicit, or criminally stupid. Either way, glad it stayed in-country and wasn't used in Western dealings (at least, I hope that's the case).

Edit - in reading the link, it looks like it was copper, not brass used as a base for the fake bricks, so a little closer in density (8.5 g/cm3 for brass, 9 g/cm3 for copper, 19.3 g/cm3 for gold). It also seems an earlier fraud used tungsten encased in actual gold, which is tricky to find without more careful testing, as its mass is quite close to gold's.

Archimedes figured out how to check for this fraud more than 2,000 years ago. Rumor is the guy was given a weight of gold and told to use it all to make a crown. The shape made it impossible to measure the volume so he kept the portion he did not put into the crown. After Archemedes showed the volume was more then the weight said it should be the crown maker was executed.

Back