What's new
What's new

Buying a Used Clausing Mill

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

I do not believe I am breaking forum rules by posting this, but if I am, I am sure I will be notified. This is a smaller milling machine with a Morse Taper spindle. Almost zero backlash, decent overall condition, converted to single phase. Comes with vise, hold down kit, and a couple of collets. Guy is asking 1600.

My concerns:

It's obviously a lighter duty mill, but I am not doing much past what this machine can handle. Is the Morse taper spindle going to pose any problems?

Price seems high, but there's not a lot of machine tooling around here.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

Thanks for any and all feedback - just looking to do some light duty and small production work.

Don't waste your time and money... just buy an actual bridgeport or knee mill clone. If you have used a 48" table bridgeport and get stuck on a small table machine its frustrating, those things are TINY. Unless you absolutely cannot get a real knee mill in your shop don't waste your time.

You can do usefull work on these, but they are a wet noodle compared with bigger mills. Far better than a mill drill tho! For me I'd say no to this one because of morse taper spindle. IMHO, should never have mt spindles on a mill.

L7

They are sought after, so easy flip if you don’t like it. It is actually going pretty cheap for that price, because it is an easy move for those less brave to move a machine that weighs a ton- I believe the Clausing weighs about 700lbs.

Just FYI, the antique machine forum is probably the safest place to post about this machine.

It can be moved around with a friend with a hand truck, literally, so if that is a perk, you are good. They are nice, and versatile, but with that versatility and ability to carry on a hand truck, you do lose rigidity, depending on the scale of your work. You can fit power feeds to the axis fairly easily as well.

Kustomizingkid, above, made a good point, depending on the scale and material you are working on. The amount of money were spending is a lot because it is a convenient machine to move for Home Shop folks. Depending on where you live, that’s definitely getting into the scale that you could buy a less-perfect Bridgeport or other knee mill.

Bridgeport M-heads have Morse #2 spindles as well, as do a few others, but if you really care, it is not the best. You would want to work out something to make it self-releasing.

Bernie

Perfect little mill for the basement, breaks down so two can handle it. Very accurate. The MT2 spindle isn't a problem, get some collets and you're good to go. 1/2" shank is the biggest tho unless you buy an MT2 adapter for 5/8" shank tools.

You can take 1/2" cut with a hogging end mill in 6061 but as mentioned it's no Bridgeport.

That's a good deal, they routinely go between 2-3K in good shape with a little tooling. That one is missing the front pulley guard.

Yahoo group: Yahoo! Groups

My resto if interested: Clausing 852 Restoration - International Waters Community

I got a Kondia Powermill (Spanish made BP clone) for just a little more than that. If you are in a machinery-poor area, maybe. Otherwise, I'd keep looking.

metalmagpie

I think the price is OK.

In 1974, I bought my first floor-model mill for my basement shop. Back then, there were more choices of new mills small enough to get down a stairway, including new American and Taiwan-built machines. I got a Rockwell vertical,with power table feed, which is a little bit bigger than the Clausing and, more importantly, has an R8 spindle. I have always been very happy with my choice.

I think nice used Clausing and Rockwell mills are both pretty hard to find, so you take what comes along.

Larry

You can do usefull work on these, but they are a wet noodle compared with bigger mills. Far better than a mill drill tho! For me I'd say no to this one because of morse taper spindle. IMHO, should never have mt spindles on a mill.

L7
I agree on the Morse Taper spindle. I looked at one years ago on an early Bridgeport with my pro machinist friend. He told me some of the negatives about M/T tapers like they often stick and won't come out or, in the alternative they will loosen and destroy your work piece while you watch. They are also limited to something like a 1/2". Truly a waste on any mill. Even my old H.F. Mill Drill that I sold many years ago had R-8 tooling.

I'd stay away from that one at any price.

It depends on what you're looking for.
If you want a small mill, they're a lot better than the mill/drills being sold. They have a very loyal following and resale should never be a problem. The price is quite reasonable.

If you want a BP style mill, these aren't even close.
JR

I think the price is OK.

In 1974, I bought my first floor-model mill for my basement shop. Back then, there were more choices of new mills small enough to get down a stairway, including new American and Taiwan-built machines. I got a Rockwell vertical,with power table feed, which is a little bit bigger than the Clausing and, more importantly, has an R8 spindle. I have always been very happy with my choice.

I think nice used Clausing and Rockwell mills are both pretty hard to find, so you take what comes along.

Larry

My buddy has a Rockwell, great little machine!

Define your goals and expectations and workpiece size. The Jorgensen/Clausing is a great little mill for hobby use. The #2MT is not a problem. The $1600 asking is top dollar, depending on tooling and options with it.

jack vines

I have an 8520 that came to me in really great shape along with a 3-in Kurt vise and some tooling. The main issue for me was the limited travel in Y (5-in) but if that fits in with your limited work envelope, the 8520 can be a nice machine for a basement shop. Some complain about the MT-2 spindle but I never found that to be an issue. For example Criterion sells a threaded MT-2 arbor for their boring heads.

Back