What's new
What's new

c 5 collet

billeoff

Plastic
any one know what i have on splits so want tighten up none of my mt would fit has 69 on end

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 114
any one know what i have on splits so want tighten up none of my mt would fit has 69 on end

The item in the pictures appears to be a reducing collet. If the outside is the same as a 5C collet, then the inside might fit a 3C or 4C collet. Hardinge used to make reducing collets to let a larger machine use smaller (cheaper) collets. They used to advertise that they would make them for any machine, to fit any smaller collet. Of course, you needed two draw bars, one for the big reducer's threads to hold the reducer tight in the spindle and another to go inside the big draw bar and fit the smaller collet threads. Reducing collets are normally only used in machines or dividing heads that have spindles that take collets directly, not in spindles with Morse taper bores.

I have several reducers that are 6C on the outside and 4C on the inside. I also have some that let a 3C collet lathe hold 10 mm collets.

Larry

The item in the pictures appears to be a reducing collet. If the outside is the same as a 5C collet, then the inside might fit a 3C or 4C collet. Hardinge used to make reducing collets to let a larger machine use smaller (cheaper) collets. They used to advertise that they would make them for any machine, to fit any smaller collet. Of course, you needed two draw bars, one for the big reducer's threads to hold the reducer tight in the spindle and another to go inside the big draw bar and fit the smaller collet threads. Reducing collets are normally only used in machines or dividing heads that have spindles that take collets directly, not in spindles with Morse taper bores.

I have several reducers that are 6C on the outside and 4C on the inside. I also have some that let a 3C collet lathe hold 10 mm collets.

Larry

thanks Larry i never though of that kind of reducer-- it is old got in some stuff--- don't have any 4c stuff i guest everyone has odd stuff laying around always can weld some thing on it have a good day

thanks Larry i never though of that kind of reducer-- it is old got in some stuff--- don't have any 4c stuff i guest everyone has odd stuff laying around always can weld some thing on it have a good day

I wouldn't waste it that way, put it up for sale in the tooling for sale section, and get a cheap imported
"normal" 5-c for your "welding".

I don't know how anyone could make sense of that sentence.

"Anyone know what I have? No splits, so it won't tighten up. None of my Morse Tapers would fit. It has 69 on the end."

- Harder to read than a Thermite 3AM post, but I got there.

"Anyone know what I have? No splits, so it won't tighten up. None of my Morse Tapers would fit. It has 69 on the end."

- Harder to read than a Thermite 3AM post, but I got there.

Nice work, Sherlock. :D

Seems someone asking for help could learn to type, but that's just me......

Back