What's new
What's new

Calculating/Verifying "non standard?" Whitworth Thread

Stihl290

Aluminum
I have a part that calls out a 1-5/8"-11 Whitworth external thread and my pitch diameter came out to be 1.566788. The drawing tolerance call out on the part is noted as "Fit mating part". Best size wire formula comes out to be .051, closest size is .055. With the given pitch diameter and wire size the MOW with 3 wires should be 1.65358. Can someone double check or verify these numbers?

I'm trying to figure out how to upload the PDF calculations but the limit is 19.5KB.....

I was supplied with Kennametal NWC3R11E topping inserts if that helps with anything.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02614022

Formulas: https://www.threadcheck.com/technical-documents/thread-measuring-wire-formulas.pdf

The Shop Calc program I use concurs. At least with 1-5/8 - 11 Whitworth and .055" dia. wires it thinks the measurement should be 1.6536 which looks close enough.

CAUTION

If 1-5/8'' - 11 WW form is the actual call out on the print, then so be it.

HOWEVER??????????????
that thread is close to 1-1/4 BSP, and shall we say: mistakes are not unknown.

Just my 2 cents YMMV

Its the call out about “fit mating part”. Do you have the mating part? If so there is your gage.

CAUTION

If 1-5/8'' - 11 WW form is the actual call out on the print, then so be it.

HOWEVER??????????????
that thread is close to 1-1/4 BSP, and shall we say: mistakes are not unknown.

Just my 2 cents YMMV

From what I can tell it is 1-5/8"-11 from the picture I posted. Not exactly sure why the MAX Ø is called out at 1.632 though, looks like I will need to make a call to the customer. The half pitch of .091 is wrong though.

The "mating part" happens to be a nut but I'm not a fan of using the nut as a gauge. I would rather have the part be numerical correct instead of just having the nut screw on and going by feel.

The Shop Calc program I use concurs. At least with 1-5/8 - 11 Whitworth and .055" dia. wires it thinks the measurement should be 1.6536 which looks close enough.

Just curious, what program are you using? Sounds like something I could use.

Back