What's new
What's new

Call yourself a machist? Cut a meshing pair of these.

Here's a stupifying solution looking for a problem.

Hyperboloidal Gears 3D Printed 75 Deg. Skewed Axis Animation and Assembly - Hyperboloid - YouTube

Next step, helical hyperboloidal gears

Usta beee.. a Machinashitist....

What I am NOW .. you radical agitating TEASE! ... is just one more jealous Old Fart a wishing and hungerin' I had me one of them 3-D printers he used ... (that part is EASY!) ...that could spit-out 4XXX pre-hard.. 8620.. or Nickel-Aluminium BRONZE!

Which is NOT so easy.... YET!

Especially when you get the same follow-on You Tube as I did!

Photogrammetry!!!

How to Copy (almost) Any Object - YouTube

Keep 'em coming, Forrest!

There is still more to life than "subtractive" masheenin' on fossilizing Old Iron!

The Operators, if not also our machines..

:D

Suppose a cnc could do it, old school you’d be stuck with a gorton copy mill if you needed a copy, either way a challenge I’m sure
Mark

I didn't see operations to add internal threads for the small fasteners, were they printed right in the parts?

A lot of times you can use a regular screw as a self-tapper, with the right pilot hole size. I've printed some threads into parts, but little stuff like that which requires very little torque to 'form tap' with the screw... I might just print it as a regular pilot hole. For stuff that matters, an embedded slot or hexagon for a captive nut is best.

Couldn't the same be achieved with a set of 45* helix-angle gears? - That is, transfer power 90* off-axis?

He is not at 90 degress here. Said it was what 75 degrees?

Whatever the application NEEDS is the actual point.

Historically, "universal solution" HAS BEEN to come in at right-angles, then rotate a second set of right-angle gears at any arbitrary angle 'round that output shaft. Works well, is all over the place for hundreds of years.

But takes more space ... and two sets of gears, rather than but the one.

3-D is one of the most USEFUL of game-changers since casting was expanded from holes in the ground and sand molds to precision metal dies and alloys that came out ready to use.

It is also perhaps the fastest improving technology yet introduced since the Industrial Revolution began.

Since the same CNC tools aready proven underpin it, it can also allow production at arbitrary distances from design, R&D, and testing.

IF.. mankind can avoid obliterating ourselves long enough to reach out for the stars?

3-D printing.. or something several steps yet BEYOND it.. will play a MAJOR role.

Couldn't the same be achieved with a set of 45* helix-angle gears? - That is, transfer power 90* off-axis?

He not 90 degress here. it as waht 75 degrees/ Whateer the application NEEDs is the point.

So let me ask it another way, in case the implied meaning wasn't clear enough previously... Couldn't the same be achieved with a set of [X° / 2] helix-angle gears? - That is, transfer power [X°] off-axis?

So let me ask it another way, in case the implied meaning wasn't clear enough previously... Couldn't the same be achieved with a set of [X° / 2] helix-angle gears? - That is, transfer power [X°] off-axis?

I can't see why not. Like bevel hypoid gears. That the axes are non-intersecting severely raises the degree of difficulty, might require a single purpose specialty gear cutting machine or wire as mentioned above.

Yes. You can cut bevels at any angle you want. And no one in their right mind would make gears with face widths like that. This guy mostly needs a big jar of KY jelly for his hand.

i dont see how this couldnt be cut on a 5 axis mill, am i missing something?
prob not the most efficient way to do it, but for sure doable.

As with Herringbone gears.. after long pondering over whether their intersection should be a sharp chevron or a complex curve, modern analysis proved a GAP is actually stronger and more enduring AS WELL AS easier to generate!

Note the fine detail as his "demo" hourglass gears approach their least diameter?

"Only because he COULD" Putting on airs, actually.

No need to GO there at all. Lose nothing of importance if there is more "air", less material in there.

Make the "real" power-transfer section simpler, faster, and easier to cut.

Motor-vehicle offset hypoid differential gears are only a narrow "ring", after all. Not all that often they fail, is it?

Note that the question is about being a machist. He said nothing about machinists.

I just thought I'd point that out for you...........:sulk:

DMG does this at shows, 4 axis is enough. Sometimes 3. In fact it's kinda the new (ten years or so anyhow) thing for big parts, it's way slower than a big generator but much more versatile.

But still would never make the face width like that.

Note that the question is about being a machist. He said nothing about machinists.

I just thought I'd point that out for you...........:sulk:

So we should correct it? To what?

"mock ass" seems to be what the guy with the spastic-plastic gears is getting the most of!

Forrest is probably chuckling, either way! Cat amongst pigeons thing..

You'd have to know Fold Arts and our sense of humour?

Back