What's new
What's new

Calling all gear hobbers

Lock

Aluminum
Never ran or ever seen one in person, got an opportunity to pickup a Mikron 102.05 universal for 5k with lots of change gears. Also have a project that it could be used for to make transmission shaft and 2 different smaller helical gears(which I have no doubt it can) My question is when a hobb machine is rated for say 5" of gear can the machine hold say a 12-14" shaft and hobb a 2" spline? Every vid online(and there limited) shows small gears between centers and I would think theres other methods to hold atleast the drive end ie collets.

I'm sure this is a dumb question so take mercy on my ignant a$$.

Regards,

Lock

I don't think you'll get a shaft that long in a 102.05. It's about twice as long as will fit between centres on my 112. I think you'd be better off milling that spline.

I don't think you'll get a shaft that long in a 102.05. It's about twice as long as will fit between centres on my 112. I think you'd be better off milling that spline.

Yea I want to say the 102.05 is 5.125 face to face but I was/am unsure if there's a way to hobb with a longer part thru spindle like a long shaft through a lathe spindle? I'm assuming though you would've mentioned that as a common thing if it were?

My question is when a hobb machine is rated for say 5" of gear can the machine hold say a 12-14" shaft and hobb a 2" spline?
Hobbers aren't rated just by size, they are rated by the pitch they will cut. That Mikron would struggle with 16 DP. It's probably happy with 24 DP and finer.

smaller helical gears(which I have no doubt it can)
Don't be jumping to conclusions. There's a lot of hobbers that will only cut spur gears. You can cheat them with change gears but if the hob won't swivel far enough, too bad so sad, can't be done.

And 5k sounds like a lot to me unless you are a fine pitch shop doing a lot of instrument gears. You could buy a much more useful machine for less. Fine pitch is a specialization.

Hobbers aren't rated just by size, they are rated by the pitch they will cut. That Mikron would struggle with 16 DP. It's probably happy with 24 DP and finer.

Totally understand that and never had intentions of cutting much larger than 20dp

Don't be jumping to conclusions. There's a lot of hobbers that will only cut spur gears. You can cheat them with change gears but if the hob won't swivel far enough, too bad so sad, can't be done.

this is a universal hobb so the cutter head swings to angle, not the rigid spur type your referring to.

And 5k sounds like a lot to me unless you are a fine pitch shop doing a lot of instrument gears. You could buy a much more useful machine for less. Fine pitch is a specialization.

That would be shipped and rigged (also this is pre nego and high end of deal. I would hope I could get it no more than 4500 shipped) and If you can find me a more useful machine in that price range as nice as this one with the hundreds of change gears it comes with I'm all ears... I don't have a lot of free space and this machine would do 2 out of the 3 gears I want to and the 3rd is straight spline so it could be milled worst case

well then if it's such a useless piece how about a suggestion for what I should looking for?
Most common and most versatile small hobber in the US would be a Barber-Colman 6-10. Older variety is a #3. There's some little verticals out there too that are small and cute, but less common. RS-00 Pfauter and a few lookalikes by Sykes, Schuchardt & Schutte, etc (you try to spell it, I dare ya :))

On a Barber Colman what do the numbers mean? They all have numbers like 12-12 or 10-16 or 12-56 or whatever. What do these refer to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16-16 or a type a i believe is 16 inch max diameter and 16 long shaft or cutter travel. Z axis I believe 16-24 would be more hob travel. A differential machine will do helical without matching up your feed and division gear sets if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always wanted a hobber, but I have no use for one and they're too specialized to just have sitting around. Alas, they are really cool.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I hope you have a manual for it
A Mikron 102.5 needs a differential to cut helical gears
That differential is in a housing behind the left door And you have 2 different housings which can be swapped
One with a differential and one without
On the picture it is the partly round item in the middle with the wide gear Thats the one without differential
DSC01077.jpg
Perhaps a hollow tailstock can be fabricated to hold a long shaft

Peter

My Mikron 112 will cut as large as 12DP/2.0MOD but that's it's limit and it makes heavy going of it. The spindle has a 10mm through hole. I can happily cut 16DP or finer gears in one pass but anything coarser needs multiple passes.

As Peter from Hollnd says you'll need the differential for bevel gears. My machine only cuts spurs and although the head does swivel there's no facility for running a 4-gear train to get the indexing right.

the head swivels on all hobbing machines,to set the helix angle for the hob.
On spur-only machines, the amount of swivel is usually limited to a few degrees, just enough to deal with the hob angle.

Some will swivel more but don't have a diff because the differential was an extra-cost attachment, often rare, so you're still screwed, unless you can do the ol' 'weird gear train and no disconnect' trick.

On spur-only machines, the amount of swivel is usually limited to a few degrees, just enough to deal with the hob angle.

Some will swivel more but don't have a diff because the differential was an extra-cost attachment, often rare, so you're still screwed, unless you can do the ol' 'weird gear train and no disconnect' trick.

that barber coleman 6-10 is pretty much ideal for everything... havn't seen too many around though

... havn't seen too many around though
Easy to find them ... but not so easy to find one at a good price.

Tahan, Piselli, Gibbs, always have several, but they loves them dearly :(

Just watch like a hawk, then swoop. Watch for a few things :

The large fine-pitch worm is good for mid-size and bigger numbers of accurate teeth, but not ideal for small numbers of teeth, like spline shafts.

Triple-thread index worm is good for small numbers of teeth but not as accurate as the big hiprecision one.

The regular size single-start index worm is probably best for most people.

You're real unlikely to find one with a diff. If you ever see one, don't think twice just grab it.

6-16 is a touch nicer for longer parts but if you're doing a lot of quick-turnover parts, the 6-10 is a tiny bit handier. (Workhead doesn't weigh as much, easier cranking.) But you can't put a 14" shaft in a 10" machine, so there is that.

If you don't mind older, a #3 is the same machine except a round overarm and probably more worn. Probably not as rigid but dinky hobbers like this aren't going to be cutting 2 pitch anyhow.

Back