Cam lock endmills

rmsfla

Cast Iron
Does anyone use them any more?
I've listed them 3 time on Ebay..Item number: 160845091062
No bids!
Should I give up and just scrap them?
Robbie

Those are DeVleig Flashchange. Popular in the 70's. We've still got some #50 holders, but only use them on the big lathes. If you find somebody with an old DeVleig jig mill, you might have a sale.
JR

Actually the #30 cam lock was used by Brown and Sharpe on their Omniversal Mills universal head. Seems that it was optional to have the flash change spindle
rather than a #7 Brown and Sharpe. DeVlieg also made a flash change adapter that uses these same mills that fit other machine tool spindles. Don't think Devlieg
uses the #30 taper in ANY of their machines. I've HAD people call me in the past that own Omniversal mills, WANTING this style of endmill. I have a box of them
that I guess I'm saving for the inevitable auction that will occur when I DIE.

Since you have them listed at fifty bucks, and their scrap value is about fifty cents, you might consider lowering your price and actually sell them. There's probably FIVE people in the world
that would consider buying them, and at this point I'm NOT one of them.

They'll just cut a hole in the floor in the middle of your shop to bury you. The shop will become a state park to let children know that there was once manufacturing in the US. VersaMil Memorial Park & campground.
JR

Well...
I have several hundred cam lock mills all in the protective wax.
I know about a adaptors from a #50 stepping down to #40, #30,#20and #10
I sold a flash change /Camlock adaptor years ago.

I'll guess I'll be on the "hunt" for them now !

Hey Brian Versamill !
Do you know maybe where I can find them???

Regards
Robbie

Where does a person find the adapters? The same place someone finds the mating tooling. Here- there- everywhere and when you're LOOKING for it NO WHERE.
So me being the tool junkie that I am (maybe was), when I saw I had all these flash change 30 taper end mill holders, and then got some 30 taper flash change endmillls,
I watched ebay for years for DEVLIEG tooling. I MAY be the only person in the world to not only have ONE but TWO #30 flashchange to SIP 4E adapters. How incredibly useless.
I have a #30 flashchange to 40 taper adapter too. SEVERAL 50 NMTB to 40 taper flash change adapters. The ONE adapter I DO use a lot is a flashchange 40 taper to SIP4E taper.
This allows me to use ALL of my devlieg JigMill tooling with the flashchange shank on my SIPS- effectively tripling my range of boring bars for the Sips. I also have around 8 flashchange to Ex-cell-O
boring spindle adapters. Again these allow me to use flash change boring bars in my double end boring machines. Pretty cool. Ten years ago, these adapters came up on ebay as people cleaned up,
I've seen them come up occasionally when I partake in my usual Devlieg search, these days, but NOT in the volume they used to.

Not that a person with hundreds of endmills would consider it, BUT the Devlieg Microbore division was sold to a company in Michigan called Mistaquay. You could get sticker shock, and ASK how much
they would charge for an adapter. Devlieg MADE these adapters to fit just about any machine ever made. BUT they're as obsolete as your cutters are. I'd bet if Mistaquay would even make an adapter NEW, the sucker would cost
four grand- maybe even more.

So I've GOT to ask, where in the world did you come up with 100"s of cutters, new in the wax? You may have the largest inventory of these in the world at this point. Heck if you SOLD an adapter years ago, and it was on ebay,
I probably BOUGHT it from you.

So you've got a pile of endmills with flash change ends. I DO use on occasion, the fifty taper to 40 taper adapter in one of my big vertical mills. Saves me from stretching my arms and changing tools by
unscrewing the drawbar. But typically I'm using carbide insert cutters in a flash change shell mill arbor. Going back to HSS steel endmills, is going backwards.

Well JR- thanks for planning my funeral for me. My wife has this nasty habit of burying ASHES in our front yard, complete with a granite marker.. Much easier to dig, NO rebar on 1 foot centers and concrete that's in places, 12 inches thick.
I'm NOT a real manufacturing plant like yours. You're in the BIG leagues, I'm just a wanna-be.

camlock.jpgcamlock1.jpgcamlock2.jpgWell Brian ..I had to ask!
The late Jim Kaizel had said that you like to collect good "STUFF".

I bought on auction years ago from Oak Ridge National Labs
Pal of mine waltz a Geiger Counter across the lot just to make sure that the lot was safe!
I received two 4x4x4 gaylors filled with all kind of machine tool accessories,
Got my money back many times over when I sold off the items that I couldn't use.
There was a fortune in those Flash change end mills!

I did what was suggested and dropped the price of the cutters on Ebay
A man wanted the # 10's and # 30's
I probably have ..say close to 200 lbs of flash change end mills as I pulled them out today.
I hope he can use them .
I will make him a offer if he takes them all.

I have Flash change system on the Cincy#4..goes down to a #40
I'd keep the cutters and use them if I had that adaptor.. 40 to 30 or 40 to 20 or to #10

Robbie

Attachments

• camlock3.jpg
    camlock3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 423
I know this is an old thread, but I have twenty #30 end mill holders available cheap if anyone is interested. Make me an offer?

Thanks,
Guy in Sacramento

301.jpg302.jpgHolder01.jpg

Brian, I shipped out your end mill holders and emailed you the tracking number.

I have the following sizes remaining if anyone is interested:

4 - 3/8" (Weldon Tools, Co.)
6 - 1/2" (B&S)
3 - 5/8" (B&S)
3 - 3/4" (B&S)

$15 each plus very reasonable shipping.

Thanks,
Guy

Brian,

Do you have any B&S 30 Taper Camlocks for sale? I have a Supermill AL76 with a angle head attachment that uses these.

-Brad

Back