What's new
What's new

Cam Lock Lathes

rscott9399

Plastic
Hello all,

I am new here and just an amateur hobbyist

I have been eyeballing a small hobby lathe and I think I have a decent handle on the options out there. Chineese imports and such.

I have been thinking about a precision Mathews of some variety.
One thing that seems to be important to me is a cam lock system. So far I have only found that on larger machines. I am looking for a like a 10X24 or similar.
I have no particular goal in mind, but would like to be able to handle mild steel although I will mostly cut 6061 im sure.

My goals are to become a reasonable machinist for fun and will attempt the classical machine shop projects. Hammers, sterling engines , all the usual some projects us type tend to get into.

I was wondering if someone knew of a lathe that size that uses a cam lock system
I am not a fan of the Chinese non standard tapers found on most small hobby lathes.

Thanks!

You won't find one in your budget, but (some? most?) Monarch 10EEs came D1-3 spindle noses. There might have been some of the approximately 9x20 Hardinge lathes with D1-3 spindle noses, but you probably won't find one of those, either. Worse, D1-3 chucks are practically unobtainium.

If you really must have a camlock spindle on a smallish lathe, pick one of the many lathes with a D1-4 spindle nose. You can get a 12" swing lathe (PM-1236, hint, hint) with a D1-4 nose. You are unlikely to find a lathe much smaller with that nose.

The ancient South Bend 10L I used to use had a D1-4 spindle. People seem rather proud of them these days, but if you find one in budget it should do fine for learning and small projects. There’s an entire sub forum for those here as well.

The ancient South Bend 10L I used to use had a D1-4 spindle. People seem rather proud of them these days, but if you find one in budget it should do fine for learning and small projects. There’s an entire sub forum for those here as well.
That was my first inclination.

Programmed via Mazatrol

If you really must have a camlock spindle on a smallish lathe, pick one of the many lathes with a D1-4 spindle nose. You can get a 12" swing lathe (PM-1236, hint, hint) with a D1-4 nose. You are unlikely to find a lathe much smaller with that nose.

Emco Maximat 11 - late models were D1-4 camlock.

PDW

Might be worth asking some questions in the gunsmithing section. The Precision Mathews and grizzly lathes around 12x40 are popular with gunsmiths because they are a step up from a toy bench lathe but are still small enough to indicate a barrel through the spindle. Most have a D1-4 Camlock

Your concern for spindle type is justified, but not for the reasons you stated. The cost of a lathe is not just the purchase cost. The purchase cost only represents 50%. The rest is for the accessories you will need. There are many very good lathes made out there that I would not touch because their spindles are non-standard and unique to the manufacturer and consequently very expensive as there is only one source. On another point, if your desire is for only one lathe. Make sure it is well equipped and big enough. A 10" lathe is too small, even a 10EE. I feel the best compromise between size, mass capability and space consumed is a 13/14" x 40" machine. They should have 12 speed spindles between 50 and 2000 rpm, a D1-4 spindle with MT-5 taper, an MT-3 TS quill, a TA, a minimum of 40 Imperial threads plus metric. Do not accept 2 speed motors or VFD drive. There is no substitute for gears. Make certain the lathe has at least a steady rest, a follower rest, a 3 jaw 8" scroll chuck and a 10" 4 jaw independent. This machine will weigh around 1200 lbs. and 6' long and about 26" deep.

As already stated, the lynch mob will probably circle.

Hobby sites are generally more user friendly for someone who is where you are currently at.

But look I have found this site to be a really good source of info. Honestly tho, you are probably better off being more of an observer on what is a professional users site.

For the record I do have one of the Chinese offerings with specs some have already been suggested to you.

Naturally if you can, a better built unit would be the go.

Wouldnt go any smaller than:
They should have 12 speed spindles between 50 and 2000 rpm, a D1-4 spindle with MT-5 taper, an MT-3 TS quill, a TA, a minimum of 40 Imperial threads plus metric.

Thats basically what I have with a DRO. Would suggest tho you look at something with a bigger spindle bore than mine (38mm).

Good luck with it.

D1-4 goods, used, seem to be more common that D1-3, yes.

But "unobtanium"? I have NEW goods bought as "integral" D1-3. They are still in regular series production.

For the most part it is simply less expensive to buy "flat back" goods and D1-3 backplates.

BOTH are commonly available enough. Not even costly.

+1
Just limiting a Google search for 'D1-3 chuck' to the UK brought up 6 pages of links, with 8 of the first 11 offering them for sale. I've got a D1-3 on my Colchester fyi, maybe that's why they're easy to find here?

Back