Cam wear - Caused by Hard Milling? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

regardless of the great method of DRAWING the cam profile, The G code post processing conversion can hack it all up by having a rather loose "profile tollerance". It'll it hack up your pretty curve into a bunch of kludgy true radii.

now this may explain why you have near as many stripes with different shapes.

that G code conversion tollerance is generally settable. you might have a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the machining of the problematic cams all done on the same machine, or the same type of machine? I'm wondering whether the common factor is the change in machining method rather than the metal...

If you make a lap of a shape to fit some part of the cam and then use it to lap that section of the cam with a polishing compound, do you see a washboard polishing pattern, indicating that the cam is being machined in facets or there is chattering?

- Mike -

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

did you manage to solve this problem? Because in our company we're facing the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryd View Post
    Where I work Cams for internal use machines used to be made from Mehanite and hard ground on a tracer machine with a master.

Over the years material was changed to A6 and hard machined at 52-54 Rc.

We are now chasing down a problem that we are not sure is related or not to the manufacturing method. It is difficult to get the whole story on when this became a problem, but cams that used to last years are lasting months. This is happening to hundreds of cams in a couple of different factories. Some issues are from set-up on the machine, but other are not.
    Maybe the Graphite in the iron was helping lube the cam. ??

I use G2 40K tensile DuraBar for my vises and two machined flat pieces of that rubbed together is very slippery.

I really can't imagine tool steel being slippery no matter how you "cooked" it.

Just another crumb to throw in the pot.

Regards,

Stan-