What's new
What's new

camlock D1-5 spindle with 3J collets??

JKCS

Plastic
Hello

First time posting on this forum. I know very little so forgive me if I ask stupidly obvious questions.
I am wondering if there is a way to use collets that go up to 1.5" with my lathe. it has a cam lock D1-5 according to the manual.

the research I've done says I need 3J collets probably? and a way to adapt to them. So I'm just looking for any advice on this.

thanks.

Hardinge Sjogren 3J collet attachment with D1-5" back plate - 3J goes to 1 3/4 and collets were expensive when I last bought one over 20 years back

thanks for the replies. is there a simpler/cheaper way then those hardinge Sjogren systems(I think they're called speed chucks?)

I've seen on a smaller lathe it simply had a tapered insert that goes into the taper on the spindle, the inside of it then had a 5c collet taper, and there was a long round bar that went through the far side of the spindle and threaded onto the collets. is something like this possible for this scenario?

thanks for the replies. is there a simpler/cheaper way then those hardinge Sjogren systems(I think they're called speed chucks?)

I've seen on a smaller lathe it simply had a tapered insert that goes into the taper on the spindle, the inside of it then had a 5c collet taper, and there was a long round bar that went through the far side of the spindle and threaded onto the collets. is something like this possible for this scenario?

I had that system on my Emco S11 until I got a Royal closer. The spindle taper is 1/2 MT5 so the adapter is 1/2 MT5 to 5C.

The big question is what's the internal taper of your spindle? And is there an adapter to go to 3J?

Pratt Burnerd collet chuck. They go up to 1.5". I have one & use it a lot.

Finding one with an integral D1-5 mount could be a problem. Finding one with a plain back you could fit to a D1-5 back plate would be easier.

PDW

Any draw tube system "tube" has to be smaller than your thru hole in your spindle, and the system's capacity has to be smaller than the inside diameter of the draw tube - and smaller than the inside of the collet that has to screw into that tube

Example: The 5C collet using South Bends have a 1 3/8 spindle bore, but the system's capacity for long stock is 1"

"Big" collets have to have some sort of collet chuck - and are of course limited to somewhat less than spindle thru hole for long stock

thanks guys for all the replies. with my internal spindle taper it seems to be too small to simply make a sleeve adapter for 3J collets. according to the manual here is what I have:

Spindle Nose: CAMLOCK D1-5
Spindle Through: Hole 1 5/8"
Spindle Taper: 1 degree 29'15" (not sure what that means?)
Taper reduction sleeve: MT-4 (I don't actually have a sleeve.)
Spindle Dia at Front: 2.76" (measuring the front inner opening of the taper measures more like 1.88")

So my options are to watch eBay for a SJOGREN speed chuck for 3J collets with a D1-5 attachment?
Or Find one I can adapt to a D1-5 backplate?

any other possibilities?

thanks again.

Spindle Taper: 1 degree 29'15" (not sure what that means?)

front inner opening of the taper measures more like 1.88"

The first says its near to .623" taper per foot on diameter - close to Morse taper

The second says it is somewhere between #5 and #6 Morse taper

In other words the sleeve had a standard #4 MT inside and a non standard Morse taper outside

I bought my HS as a flat back - new - forty years ago - and one of the back plates I used with that flat back was D1-5"- long gone now

So if you settle on HS, look for either a flat back or one already fixed up for D1-5"

Looks like your spindle is actually MT5: Machine taper - Wikipedia

If so it's the same as my S11 and as far as I know the only adpter to fit in the spindle is MT5 to 5C and that would limit you to 1 1/8".

Is the machine one of the unmentionables? ie: Big Green Bear, High Speed Aircraft, Active Bumblebee etc?

The first says its near to .623" taper per foot on diameter - close to Morse taper

The second says it is somewhere between #5 and #6 Morse taper

In other words the sleeve had a standard #4 MT inside and a non standard Morse taper outside

I bought my HS as a flat back - new - forty years ago - and one of the back plates I used with that flat back was D1-5"- long gone now

So if you settle on HS, look for either a flat back or one already fixed up for D1-5"

thanks for the info. I am not sure what you mean by "HS". do you mean one of the SJOGREN collet chucks?

Looks like your spindle is actually MT5: Machine taper - Wikipedia

If so it's the same as my S11 and as far as I know the only adpter to fit in the spindle is MT5 to 5C and that would limit you to 1 1/8".

Is the machine one of the unmentionables? ie: Big Green Bear, High Speed Aircraft, Active Bumblebee etc?

thanks. that may help me with future projects. I'm not sure what you mean by unmentionables? bad brands? its a ProtoTrak 1440 with lx2 control. old but a big step up for me!

I have a plain back 3J speed chuck that I’l sell for $300. Plus shipping.
Jim

See reply #16 second page for dim.

Last edited:

Back