What's new
What's new

Can anyone help me identify this 4 way chuck?

J-Gilly

Plastic
Hi guys. Newbie here. Just purchased a South Bend 9a lathe with some tooling. This chuck was thrown in with the parts. Don’t know if it will work with my 9a. The hole in the rear for the spindle looks the same as the 3-way chuck that was mounted on the spindle, at 1-1/2”. However, the threads are recessed about 7/8” down in the hole. Anyone know what this is, and can I use it with my South Bend 9a? Thank you for any help.F5613C89-F7B6-4007-A3F1-6D03574BB002.jpgF44AF823-5DCD-4756-89E8-360A579E1E20.jpg8E315BE0-CFEA-4093-AF2A-050E2E74F9EA.jpg5EF05C38-B489-40F3-BDE6-B014ABE0EDF3.jpgBDBEED08-3463-481B-A100-DEF9864ACA96.jpgF5613C89-F7B6-4007-A3F1-6D03574BB002.jpgF44AF823-5DCD-4756-89E8-360A579E1E20.jpg8E315BE0-CFEA-4093-AF2A-050E2E74F9EA.jpg5EF05C38-B489-40F3-BDE6-B014ABE0EDF3.jpgBDBEED08-3463-481B-A100-DEF9864ACA96.jpg

First off you need to use the correct terminology, there is no such thing as a 3 way or 4 way chuck, it is 3 jaw chuck (usually but NOT always a scroll chuck), and 4 jaw chuck (usually independent, but can be a scroll chuck). Looks like you need to turn down some of that adapter to make it work.

Edit: unbolt that adapter from the chuck, flip over and see if it screws onto your spindle, if it does do some reading on here to find out how to fit it to your lathe. It looks like a new adapter that was just never machined to fit. I would also change out those square head bolts for allen head, but that may just be my taste.

It might work as it is but if you need to turn down some of the back plate, you need to make sure you do a good job of it. That shoulder is what indexes the chuck to the spindle and the threads just hold it on. Resist the urge to spin the chuck on. You will be sorry if you do. I think you could clean it up and make a serviceable chuck out of it. Don't think you don't need a four jaw. You need a four jaw as it is the only way to guarantee repeatability.

If the threads start too deep to give a good hold on your spindle, take the backplate off and mount it backwards on your spindle. That way you can make certain the threads match. Assuming that they match, you can then turn off some of the extra non threaded length.

So new here that I didn’t realize that the part on the back is an adapter, and that I could remove it, turn it down, and reinstall it. How much should I remove? Thinking the threads should ultimately be at the same depth as my 3-Jaw chuck that came on the lathe, but thinking it could be a safety issue, I should figure it out before doing. I won’t be able to uncut it! Like the light bulb vs. the pregnant girl, you can unscrew the light bulb, but......

To clarify, what do you mean by “resist the urge to spin the chuck on”? Do you mean do not force it on, without cleaning it up? Because it would damage my spindle?
What I’d like to do is clean it up and make sure the threads match, then proceed with caution, and go slowly with little force. Anything else I need to be careful of? Thank you, not being a smartass, just new here, and my lathe seems to be in great shape.

He means don't 'give it a spin' and let it clunk to a stop. Very difficult to remove sometimes if you do. And if you lock the spindle with the back gear to 'spin it on', you can break gear teeth.

You will need to remove the existing chuck from the lathe and examine your spindle to determine how much to remove, you want the adapter to seat on the face of spindle before the thread bottoms. When you have that done, screw it onto spindle and face it and turn outside dia if needed so it runs true.

If you have not done so yet, read "How to run a lathe", you should be able to find it online.

Back