What's new
What's new

Can anyone ID this Steniel machine?

Erik E

Plastic
Interested in this for folding knife making. Would love a bigger mill, but at the point, it is a small one or nothing.

Does anyone know anything about it, or if it won't be useful for knife making. Most of the work will be drilling and milling ballbearing pockets. Maybe some very minor facing.

Would greatly appreciate any input

Stinel.jpg

If it has a quill im sure it would suit small work like that just fine, but if no quill then I would find something else.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A quick search found this. I hope it is the correct machine.
Bill D

Attachments

• stienel sv1.jpg
    stienel sv1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 30
  • unnamed. mt2.jpg
    unnamed. mt2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 23
rblalexanderThis would be my first mill, so could you please explain why you would pass up a machine without a quill? I do intend to use it a lot as a drill and I can see how raising the table rather than lowering a quill would be cumbersome. Is that the main reason?

I really appreciate the input.

rblalexanderThis would be my first mill, so could you please explain why you would pass up a machine without a quill? I do intend to use it a lot as a drill and I can see how raising the table rather than lowering a quill would be cumbersome. Is that the main reason?

I really appreciate the input.

Yes. Cranking the knee is not a good way to drill holes. It is slow and accelerates wear on the machine. Small drill presses are much better suited and should be quite cheap for one that will do an adequate job.

If you want to enlarge a drilled hole to make an accurate bearing pocket, you will need a boring head to fit the mill and boring is well suited to knee feed.

Buying an old mill for which no collets are available is the path toward either learning a lot about machining and machine repair or giving up and looking for a different mill. In any case, you will need a good lathe.

Larry

Yes. Cranking the knee is not a good way to drill holes. It is slow and accelerates wear on the machine. Small drill presses are much better suited and should be quite cheap for one that will do an adequate job.

If you want to enlarge a drilled hole to make an accurate bearing pocket, you will need a boring head to fit the mill and boring is well suited to knee feed.

Buying an old mill for which no collets are available is the path toward either learning a lot about machining and machine repair or giving up and looking for a different mill. In any case, you will need a good lathe.

Larry

The seller just sent me a video of a feature he didn't show me when I was there. It rapidly raises the whole table with a lever, so like a quill but the workpiece comes to the tool instead of the other way around. It also comes with 5 collets. I think I will go for this to hold me over until I can get a Bridgeport a couple of years down the line.

The seller just sent me a video of a feature he didn't show me when I was there. It rapidly raises the whole table with a lever, so like a quill but the workpiece comes to the tool instead of the other way around. It also comes with 5 collets. I think I will go for this to hold me over until I can get a Bridgeport a couple of years down the line.

If you get a 1/2" collet with the mill, you can buy a small boring head (possibly with 3/8" tool holes) with a 1/2" straight shank. You will need boring bars to suit, either HS or carbide tipped, and a way to sharpen them. Of course, you will also need a way to accurately measure those bearing pockets during the boring operation. One possibility is to get a set of pin gages of the right range.

Larry

You can buy an er collet setup with a straight shank to match one of your collets. Or a MT2 shank if that is what it has. Probably cheaper and lots easier then trying to source collets. You will lose height under the spindle.
Bill D

Back