What's new
What's new

Can anyone identify these "RichCraft" tools?

paroikoi

Aluminum
Hi all. These 4 tools came in a couple machinist toolboxes I bought a few years ago. Most of the stuff I can identify and use. I don't know what these are. Does anyone recognize them? If I have no use for them (which I think I don't), I'd like to sell them...

I didn't think of putting anything into the photos for scale, but you can see a package of utility knife blades in the background for scale. They are around 5-6" long and about 1" wide.

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20210706_202350332.jpg
PXL_20210706_202404723.jpg
PXL_20210706_202410811.jpg

They are strap clamps, used to hold material down on a machine table.

The end with the "rod" on it can be placed in a hole in the side of a part and used to clamp it down.

They are strap clamps, used to hold material down on a machine table.

The end with the "rod" on it can be placed in a hole in the side of a part and used to clamp it down.

.. or.. the "tail" placed into a hole or notch in an outboard "riser" or stacked step-notch blocks and the OTHER end used to apply clamping force.

Just one more handy player in a mill/shaper/planer's arsenal of needfuls.

Not uncommon, "back in the day".. before all mills were ass-u-me'ed to be BirdPorts and all work thot to fit a Kurt vise or go pound sand.

:(

Thanks a lot, guys! Sounds like I can use them, so I'll keep them. I do sometimes mount things to the table on my Van Norman #12 (no Bridgeport here)...

PXL_20210123_222605434.jpg
PXL_20210127_235448672.jpg

(.50BMG muzzle brake)

Very nice casting too, I don’t remember well but I think that pattern first time I saw it was the Cincinnati milling book, good book
Mark

Given the detail in the lettering there cast, you couldn't do that fine a lettering in a forging. If the OP could post a side view we could tell for sure.

Looks like an investment casting to me. Wax pattern cast in a machined aluminum mold leaves a nice little parting line in the final steel casting, much less obtrusive than the sheared flash on a drop forging. And the parting line going into a couple of 90 degree turns and the round mark where the sprue was cut off nails it down.

Hand stamping the cavity or clamp model number into the aluminum carries the risk of double stamping the number. Not so ugly that they would scrap the mold and do the whole thing over.

Larry

Looks like an investment casting to me. Wax pattern cast in a machined aluminum mold leaves a nice little parting line in the final steel casting, much less obtrusive than the sheared flash on a drop forging. And the parting line going into a couple of 90 degree turns and the round mark where the sprue was cut off nails it down.

Hand stamping the cavity or clamp model number into the aluminum carries the risk of double stamping the number. Not so ugly that they would scrap the mold and do the whole thing over.

Larry

Thanks for the explanation, Larry. Makes sense...

I sort of assumed cast malleable iron due to seeing a spin caster, the “tree” was in a cannester, the canester then spun and metal poured in the top, wasn’t super fast but spinning, somewhat like centrifugal casting ( perhaps same machine)
Perhaps closed die forging as said, either way nicely made, quality straps.
Mark

Don’t be sad, architects call a hole “negative space” sounds really trendy, kurt vise with negative space
Mark

Back