What's new
What's new

Can anyone recommend source for miniature, (2-56), threaded dowel pin?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
Looking for a US-based source for small threaded dowel pins. Ideal would be a 3/32 pin, OAL 0.625 which would include ~0.125 of the end threaded to 2-56 and the opposite end slotted.

Worst case I could buy shouldered screws from McMaster and turn the head down but they want $3.00-$4.00 each which seems high to me, not to mention the machining time.

Quantities at this time are only 25-50'ish.

Thanks.
gm

I don't think you can call it a dowel pin once the threads are on it. Maybe call it a threaded indexing pin or a threaded locating pin will help the search

is this the kind of thing you are after?

Threaded_dowel_pins_9222_3.jpg

I don't think you can call it a dowel pin once the threads are on it. Maybe call it a threaded indexing pin or a threaded locating pin will help the search

is this the kind of thing you are after?

View attachment 257829

Yes Kevin, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

I've tried searching for that and I'm having trouble finding one "off-the-shelf". My guess is that it will have to be custom given the small size.

gm

Shoulder screws (by default) are not nearly as precise in size as a dowel pin. Even looking at "precision" shoulder screws/bolts from McMaster the dia tol is listed at _.001/+0. Does that still work for your application?

I am thinking you will either need to have them custom machined, or 'settle' for a shoulder screw and turn the head off. I agree though, $4 each for 50 parts PLUS the labor kind of stings.

Shoulder screws (by default) are not nearly as precise in size as a dowel pin. Even looking at "precision" shoulder screws/bolts from McMaster the dia tol is listed at _.001/+0. Does that still work for your application?

Yeah... The tolerance is not an issue. I found another company that has a much better price: Socket Head Shoulder Screw | Hex Head Shoulder Screw. Worst case I turn the head down myself but I plan to check with them next week to see what the cost would be if they turn it off for me.

Thanks.

Back