What's new
What's new

Can a base be mounted on an electric motor?

Luke

Hot Rolled
I just made an expensive bone head purchase. I've been scouring for a 7.5hp 213T motor for a wood shaper I've been restoring. Found one on EBay and it's only face mount!

Can I pull everything out of the motor and weld a mounting plate on??

Luke

So ticked off with myself!

I should have looked at the pictures more closely. In the end, after shipping, I just wasted $350.

Luke

I have welded several on. There is space between the stator and the frame. I haven't messed one up yet. Just don't go crazy with your welding.

Find a scraped out motor frame with the mount you want. Dissect the motor and cut off the mount. Probably a angle grinder would do it.

I have seen motors held with hose clamps to a channel iron frame. With some rubber strips under the strapping to stop it from slipping. Probably not a good idea above 1 horsepower or so.
Bill D

In a similar situation I made a U bracket from 1/8" plate. Fitted front side to the face and used longer through studs with suitable hollow threaded spacers to hold the back. 2 hp motor I think. Done 'cos I had the motor and didn't want to pony up for a new one.

Had same issue more recently and was delighted to discover the motor had tapped lugs to bolt a base onto.

That said if its a finned, steel body, motor I'd trim some bar to fit nicely between appropriate fins tap fixing holes for the base and weld along the tips of the fins. Done with sensible care the innards won't get hot. With a nice fit between bar and fins you won't need hefty weld either.

Clive

Pull an endbell, and take a good look.

Stator windings should not be within about 1/2" of the outside wall,
surrounded by silicon steel punching's.

Don't weld a foot mount on the outside where there is no core, a connection wire might be laying up against the thin outer wall
and that will melt.

So only weld the foot on the outside where there is a core.

I'll see about throwing up some pics. This is a very large motor.

I'm liking the idea of building an shaped adaptor plate for the face. I'll have to double check all will fit and work.

I'm to nervous to weld a plate on. The last thing I want to do is wreck the whole thing.

Thanks for the input

Some motors come with tapped holes for adding bases. I've thrown out piles of bases from Chinese motors from Automationdirect.com that we used in face mount configurations.

I agree with the others that strategic welding or band clamping would work. Or just have a fab shop bend up a piece of 3/8" plate into an L shape and face mount it.

I built one with 1/2" plate, mounted it, but unfortunately the motor was too large (long) to fit. This shaper has a tilting spindle and the motor hit at about 10*.
I'd post a picture, but darned if I can figure out how from my smart phone.

I have a second motor that after looking closer, will work.

Luke

Back