What's new
What's new

Can C365 brass Muntz metal be silver brazed?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I have a project out of C365 brass that would be far simpler to construct if I could silver braze part of it together rather than machining it out of one piece. Any one done this? I have my doubts since I see it has some lead in it. Haven't bought the material yet so have none to try a sample with.

...Silver brazing may be higher temperature than normal brazing, though. B...

Silver brazing alloys come in many flavors, with different melting points. Items made from several parts to be brazed together in separate stages take advantage of that variety. The first assembly is brazed with "Hard" brazing material, the highest melting point. Then a second part can be added on using "Medium" alloy. A third part can be added using "Easy" alloy and there is a possible "Very Easy" alloy for a fourth add-on. These are jeweler's technical terms of art, applied to both gold and silver solder, the term most used by jewelers for their vocational brazing alloys. But general industrial silver brazing alloys share the same variety of alloys and melting points, with other variations in toxicity, strength and preferred parent metal.

Larry

Plus1 to both the above posts. Lead is not the problem, too much aluminum can screw stuff up though. Copper & Brass sales rates C360 with way more lead good for brazing. Attached;

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• CandB_Sales_Brass_properties_P22.jpg
    CandB_Sales_Brass_properties_P22.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 46
  • CandB_Sales_Brass_properties_P23.jpg
    CandB_Sales_Brass_properties_P23.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 59
Go with a low heat braze...which I think is the 56% silver braze. Personally, I like the black flux better than the white flux for silver brazing.

Back