What's new
What's new

Can I leave the jammed woodruff key in place or do I need to remove it?

philztheone

Plastic
Can I leave the jammed woodruff key in place or do I need to remove it?

My woodruff key is jammed into place (see photo), can I leave it as is(It took some doing to finally pry the crankshaft off.)? Do I need to remove this key(Had a go at it with a needle-nose pliers which didn't work.)?

Don't know if this relevant but it's a 1997 Accord DX straight stock as far as I know. It has an F22B2 engine. 2.2L, SOHC.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0037[1].jpg
    IMG_0037[1].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 505
Well, it depends.

If you're replacing the main seal it may actually have to come out. Replacing the pulley, not so much.

My old go to was to use a set of dikes (diagonal cutters) to grip the exposed end and then lever it up. It will leave a dent (insignificant) and perhaps a raised burr (that will have to be dressed off).

I may be all wet with advice because I'n not sure what "pry the crankshaft off" means. Engines I worked on you could never pry it out the end, you had to split the case and take off all the big end and main caps to get the crankshaft out.

The key is not "jammed", it's just tight. If you want it out a couple good wacks with a hammer and a sharp-edged
cold chisel will lift it out of there. Square key-stock is so cheap there's never any reason to worry about damaging
a key when you remove it...

After looking at second pic, I think the crank pulley is also held in place by the key. So the crank pulley would need to come off before key can be removed, mind you I'm just looking at a pic, your eyes need to make the final decision. If you can get pulley off, unless there is some other reason key needs to come out, leave it alone. If you bugger that key up, you can either file high spots off and reuse, or replace.

Not able to pull off the crankshaft pulley shown in the photo. There's a "burr" on the key, I'm thinking to file this down and try to get the pulley off.

I'd like to replace the crankshaft seal. It's ok if I can't get the pulley off and replace this seal. I guess I'll leave it to the future.

Filing now. Slow but steady. This crank pulley is tight.

Yes, have the Honda shop manual and a good video to replace: timing belts; tensioners; seals (No otters. <rimshot>).

Still thinking the key will be "stuck" even after I remove the pulley, should I care? Is it ok to leave it "wedged" in its groove? Thanks.

Back