What's new
What's new

Can I run a 380V High speed spindle on 220V

TTalma

Aluminum
I have a coloumbo High speed spindle (Operating range 12000, to 18000 rpm, with freq input 200 to 300Hz, 4.4kw, 6.6Hp, 10 amps). For a wood working CNC machine.

I currently have a Huanyang VFD that will not stop or slow down. I only have 220V single phase at my shop. This Huanyang takes 220V single phase, and outputs 380V 3 phase (I've measured and confirmed this). I purchased this setup used, It sat around for a long time and I lost the contact info from the person I bought it from. I am unable to find any tech support for the Huanyang.

I am planning to purchase a new VFD but I cannot find a VFD that takes single phase and steps it up to a 380V 3 phase other than the Huanyangs.

So What would happen if I ran my spindle with a VFD that accepts single phase input, and only puts out 220v 3 phase? I am thinking of this delta:Delta VFD11C23A | Delta AC Drives - Delta VFD.

Or is anyone aware of a VFD that also steps up the voltage from a company that has tech support?

Thanks.

I have a coloumbo High speed spindle (Operating range 12000, to 18000 rpm, with freq input 200 to 300Hz, 4.4kw, 6.6Hp, 10 amps). For a wood working CNC machine.

What would happen if I ran my spindle with a VFD that accepts single phase input, and only puts out 220v 3 phase? I am thinking of this delta:Delta VFD11C23A | Delta AC Drives - Delta VFD.

Thanks.
You lose some horses from high rpm range.
Assuming your spindle nominal rating is 300hz 4.4kW you would get same power as earlier up to 10400rpm and at top speed you lose about 40% from orginal rating.
If the nominal speed is 200hz 380v you lose about 40% power at entire speed range 12-18krpm.

You lose some horses from high rpm range.
Assuming your spindle nominal rating is 300hz 4.4kW you would get same power as earlier up to 10400rpm and at top speed you lose about 40% from orginal rating.
If the nominal speed is 200hz 380v you lose about 40% power at entire speed range 12-18krpm.

So it would essentially turn my spindle into a ~4 hp spindle. (This is acceptable, as the spindle it is replacing is 3Hp. This is an automatic tool changing spindle which is what I need. The main job I run on this machine take 7 tool changes for a 15 min cycle).

Would there be any other issues? such as heat, that would require a change in maintenance or premature wear?

The reduction of voltage from 380 to 230vac will reduce the torque by the square of the ratio at the same slip. You will get 36% nameplate torque at full speed. However you will have full torque up to 60% base speed.

However, the reduction in voltage takes the motor out of saturation reducing the wasted heat and amps in the motor. So you may be able to get significantly more than 36% nameplate torque at full speed. Due to the lower amps, you can pull more torque from the motor, the rpm will drop and the slip will increase but the motor won't overheat provided you don't exceed nameplate amps.

So a 1 hp 1760 rpm 240v motor might deliver 0.25 hp at 1760 rpm at 120vac. But it might safely deliver .5hp at 1700 rpm without overheating.

even worse example:
A 0.1hp motor might deliver .1hp at nameplate volts at 3300 rpm and .05hp at 2700 rpm at half the voltage. such an example is typical of a cheap ac fan or blower.

Last edited:

Back