What's new
What's new

Can I use a square no-hole insert in a face mill that is slightly larger?

mr coffee

Plastic
I an a noob hobbyist running an old bridgeport-style milling machine with a chinese face mill that is made for 5 size 433 square carbide inserts without a hole in them.

I've already used up all four corners of the inserts that came with it. I saw some 533 (5/8" IC) for cheap and wondered if I couldn't use them in my 45 degree facemill. Yeah, I know it would have a a lot less metal behind the cutting edge, but at low rates of feed, they wouldn't just break off, would they? I'm not in a hurry, but I should mention I am machining small pieces of 304 stainless, not aluminum or brass.

Sorry if this question is stupid, but I don't know what I am doing and deciphering the insert code for surplus inserts is pretty challenging, even with the charts I have found, and I can't afford to break PRICY inserts as I learn. "Surface finish" is something I do with sandpaper much of the time. <grin>

Thanks for any help. I'm braced for ridicule if necessary.

There is a good chance they will snap like saltine crackers. Carbide does not like shear loads which is why lathe inserts are fully supported. If you have ever used a holder with a damaged seat you’ll noticed that insert life drastically suffers.

The usually Chinese sources have a wealth of “Iscar” and other APKT inserts for dirt cheap so perhaps take a look at those.

The increased cutting diameter screws up the radial heel clearance. The support under would not be a game changer for me in a 3 thick.
If clamping allows you can use 433s with holes.
You don't give the full "normal" insert number so many questions as to what else you can stick in the pocket.
Bob

Thank you for all the thoughtful (and kind) replies.

The heel clearance on the ones I was eyeing is pretty great so they won't drag or anything.

Thanks for suggesting using inserts with holes as well. It seems obvious now that you suggested it, but I'm a noob and somehow hadn't thought of it. The clamps are pretty big and should cover the entire hole. Opens up more surplus options.

Thanks!

I an a noob hobbyist running an old bridgeport-style milling machine with a chinese face mill that is made for 5 size 433 square carbide inserts without a hole in them.

Sounds like it's time to give Curtis a call and get yourself a MUCH better facemill. He has good quality 2" dia facemills for only $139 + $75 for a box of 10 inserts.

ZCC USA FACE MILL

He also has facemills which take double sided inserts for $169 + $95 for a box of 10 inserts if you want to go that route.

2 INCH ZCC FMA11

Back