Can a lathe be fabricated from mild steel ? - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lionelt View Post
    Seem to remember there was a story about a lathe made in a POW camp in WWII, from scrap. In one of the Machinists Bedside Reader books by Guy Lautard.
    Yeah, and he stole it out of Model Engineer magazine.

When I read stuff like that, I am both astonished at the skills of the fellows that accomplished it, and somewhat saddened that the state of technology has changed so much that such a thing has become pretty much unthinkable with modern tech and materials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did watch the video where they made snow board out of glass. It worked fine until it broke. I think it lasted two hours? Watch about 7 minutes in.
    They did make skis out of steel for a short time in the 1960's before fiberglass.
    Bil lD

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to state that I an not building a lathe. Would a large granite surface plate be a good base for a lathe or mill? There seams to be many on ebay that weight several thousand pounds cheap.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Daake View Post
    I want to state that I an not building a lathe. Would a large granite surface plate be a good base for a lathe or mill? There seams to be many on ebay that weight several thousand pounds cheap.
    Surface plates are right decent at being surface plates. ISTR my Herman Grade A masses around 1100-1200 lbs, but then again it is only a small 30" X 48".

Comes to machine tool bases? Granite is just another middle-man.

Why bother?

My lathes and mills are Cast Iron, lightest around 3,200 lbs Avoir, coupled through good, but not all that special, concrete to a slightly greater mass than "several thousand pounds" extra :

Earth's Mass - Universe Today

But about that "coupled"? Check your own County Soils Geology database. They are usually online for US States.

My case, I'm on one corner of a triassic-era geological formation a bit over four feet down. Verified that off the opportunity when I excavated for a new water line. Said formation in turn sits atop one small tectonic plate, etc.

Bottom line is that Planet Earth is kinda shakey. There's an Earthquake database online if you wonder how, where, how often, and by how much.

Y'know how it is. Meagre Social Security Budget.

Can't re-engineer the ENTIRE world, but yah can look it up "as built' cheap enough.

Got a plan to eliminate that shake? Why d'you need to do?

You were going to gain.... just what?

Over the tried and true practices that Just Firmly WORK....... and have done .....for a coupla hundred years.

Already.