What's new
What's new

Can someone recommend a gauge repair facility.

moldcore

Hot Rolled
I have some older Interapid dial test indicators and Mitutoyo dial calipers that need service. Would like recommendations of places you have done business with.

I've used (and very much liked) Long Island Indicator. Some question about 6-12 months ago about whether they were still around, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if they are.

Thanks Wheels17, I did a search and I guess i didn't use the right combination of words. Long Island Indicator was one I used many years ago but the turn around was a bit slow. I'll call M.R Tool Repair and see if they're still in business.

we use Accurate Instrument, somewhere here in the LA Area. Good work, and never a problem. I crashed my Haimer, never thought to call them, snt it back to Haimer USA, who sent it to Germany to repair. Doesn't seem like it was too expensive, but I can't really remember. I'm sure if it was pricey I'd remember that!

I know sources and went this way once.
Never found it worth the doing in the long term.
Buy new ones.
This is disposable tooling no matter how much you love them. Did their job and got worn out.
Bob

I know sources and went this way once.
Never found it worth the doing in the long term.
Buy new ones.
This is disposable tooling no matter how much you love them. Did their job and got worn out.
Bob

I don't agree about the statement that these are disposable tooling. In this case, accidents happen. At over $250 for each of these items at sale prices, replacing them with new would be nice but not necessary if they can be repaired to new condition for 1/4 the cost plus shipping. After 45 years in the trade I don't think I've "worn out" an Interapid. I may have destroyed a few over the years though, LOL. I think I still have the first one I purchased 40 years ago and it still works like new and it gets used almost daily. FYI- Indicol + Interapid = disaster waiting to happen. Don't ask...

I haven't used them, but I've talked to them on the phone and they seemed like they had their act together. I was looking for a trav-a-dial rebuild.

NTPI - Repair Services

Why not use local? No idea where in Utah you are, but Western States Calibration (30 th South SLC) has done very good work for me. I sent my Interapids to LII. But my Blake, Federals and B&S indicators go to W.S.C.

Home

R

jancollc- did you find someone to do Trav-a-dial repair? I have a few that need TLC, and have not had much luck in finding anybody that works on them anymore.
Dan, the link I posted for NTPI- they do trav-a-dials.

The reason I decided not to rebuild it was that the cost tbey quoted over the phone was about 1/2 what I would pay for a cheaper DRO setup for my lathe.

I still haven't bought the DRO, and my trav-a-dial is still sitting on my desk, lol...The little bit of manual lathe work I do, I've just been throwing indicators on the machine.

Buy new ones.
Bob

Maybe for .0001" Interapids, but for your everyday indicator for vises and shit, just get them repaired.
Unless you have deep pockets like CarbideBob :D

Why not use local? No idea where in Utah you are, but Western States Calibration (30 th South SLC) has done very good work for me. I sent my Interapids to LII. But my Blake, Federals and B&S indicators go to W.S.C.

Home

R

I'm in Woods Cross. I checked with Western States and they don't do repairs anymore. I've haven't found anyone in Utah that did repairs, only calibration. I sent my Interapids to M.R. Tool Repair in Illinois.

I’ve used Long Island a couple times. One Interapid I sent them was really smashed. They fixed it for their flat rate charge. Looked and acts brand new. I trust them. They get the work done promptly and charge fairly.

Denis

I've been happy with IBB Technology. They are local and do pickups around here. Service is good and turnarounds have been pretty quick.

Back