What's new
What's new

Can't Find Replacement Grinding Wheel for Carbide for Optimum DG20 Drill Grinder HELP

Italiano83

Aluminum
Anyone use this drill grinder? Works well with the standard wheel on HSS and Cobalt, but there seems to be a green colored wheel for carbide floating around but I can't find a retailer, nor any part number or info on it. Seems to be a very popular drill grinder, so if anyone has a recommendation on where to find this it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Do to translation, 30 seconds of google says the OEM calls them sanding cups. Might be well ahead to try and find a diamond wheel for it, sharpening carbide cutting tools on a green wheels little better IMHO than dragging them behind a car along the road surface.

Do to translation, 30 seconds of google says the OEM calls them sanding cups. Might be well ahead to try and find a diamond wheel for it, sharpening carbide cutting tools on a green wheels little better IMHO than dragging them behind a car along the road surface.

Haha. Yes, I've tried all the "key words" and was able to only locate it in Austria and they won't sell international. But as you say, its best to find diamond. I'm going to take JRIowa's advice and see if I can come across something that way. Thanks!

looks like a pink wheel i used for ID work and later drilled them out with a carbide drill to use on a TC grinder.
10 mm hole so you might use a .375(3/8) hole and add a tube of sorts to be a space..Yes use a blotter...
looks lie a 1 1/2 OD wheel might do..

(But not recommending drilling out grinding wheels..) altering grinding wheels is /may not be a safe thing to do.

QT:[seems to be a green colored wheel for carbide.]..Very likely the green wheel won't be much good..better a green wheel on a bench grinder to rough in and a diamond wheel on the machine to tickle the finish IMHO.

What Buck said. And JR meant "wear very fast" not "were very fast".

Green wheels move carbide they do - but at the price of insanely high friability. IOW - they lose their dressed shape yesterday.

You can compensate manually for that whilst roughing, but NFW any guide or bespoke grinder will be happy with a constantly changing wheel profile.

2CW

According to the manual, the Optimum wheels are 40 mm OD, 26 mm ID with an M10 threaded insert. Speed - Optimum OptiGrind DG 2 Operating Manual [Page 13]

The Optimum grinder is a modified copy of the American SRD drill grinder. Unfortunately, one of the modifications was to change the size of the threaded motor shaft and the wheels.

SRD grinders have 3/8-16 threads on their 80M and similar models and M12 threads on their 82B models. They do offer diamond wheels in addition to aluminum oxide.

The 80m wheels are 35 mm OD and 25 mm ID. the 82B wheels are either that size for small bits or 60 mm OD and 48 mm ID for big bits.

So, you could get a 35 mm diamond wheel for the SRD ($195) and fit it with an M10 thread.

You can get the wheels from SRD direct, possibly cheaper than from MSC. Service Precision Grinding Inc. - drill bit grinder, drill grinder, drill sharpener, point splitter Drill Sharpener,Drill Grinder,Drill Grinding, drill pointer, fastest drill grinder - Service Precision Grinding Inc. started as a precision grinding s

Or you could have Continental Diamond Wheel custom build a wheel to your drawing.

Or you might try to buy a wheel from a German supplier. I usually find that Germans do not want to ship to the USA.

I will add one more warning that green wheels can roughly change the shape of carbide, but they are useless for sharpening carbide.

I see there is an Italian version. Aceti (Italy) Drill Bit Grinder | eBay

Larry

2" ish cheap cup diamond wheels are readily available on ebay from Chinese sources, unlike rock wheels there normally all on a steel or aluminium backer hence very very easy to modify with nothing but a std lathe!

Back