What's new
What's new

Can't see recent threads

DanielG

Stainless
Normally the main page of PM shows a list of the most recent threads. That's not showing up for me today. All I see on the main page are ads/sponsored articles.

I've tried two different browsers, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Cookies and advertising.
Cleaning all cookies will result in needing to enter new credentials on every site you visit.

It is quite likely you have some spyware that steals your passwords and ids, if you enter them.
Most people have that type of spyware ex linux users and VM windows users on re-setting virtual machines under linux (mac).

There are no good easy answers.
The best choice is going to a virtual machine (I expect You run windows), and resetting every credential you can from a linux base machine and the rest from within that virtual Win machine.

Laborious, complex, unpleasant.
I know.
There are zero good options.

Option:
Get someone *good* to do the base setup for You, maybe 300 $.
You can get a machine that just runs, never gets slower, never gets extra tagware/spyware.
Oh, it will be faster than Your current machine.
And vastly more secure.

And backups to the cloud automatically, for free or maybe 30$/yr.

And anyone capable can restore your setup in a few hours for 300$, if your system is stolen, broken, confiscated or subject to familiar conflicts.

It is *hard* to do good IT stuff.
Most people selling such IT services would not know "good" if it bit them.

But it is NOT more expensive to do good IT stuff.
Mostly it is cheaper, much, per unit.
The good ones, with experience, have scripts that do most of the stuff with minimal intervention.

They usually charge more not less and work much less.

I used to be high end IT, learned with many, and later had world class people working for me in linux/server environments.
After 16 years I am much out of it and it took me about 100 hours to get a decent debian/VM setup running.

If I needed to get a setup running for someone I would never do it myself, but would get someone I have fame off to do it.

Alternatively any pc geek will re-install your basic stuff and you will be re-infected within minutes.
And you also still need to input all credentials.
And they still get stolen in real time.

I *know* some of my stuff is compromised despite good precautions.

Normally the main page of PM shows a list of the most recent threads. That's not showing up for me today. All I see on the main page are ads/sponsored articles.

I've tried two different browsers, to no avail. Any suggestions?

There are no good easy answers.

There are zero good options.
Horsehit.

ONLY because people have grown so lazy they COULD, but WILL NOT pour piss out of a gumboot if the instructions were written on the HEEL in blinking pink LED's! They would rather SUFFER and PONtIFICATe to show-off how well they "understand" WinWOES than to admit WinWOES just MIGHT ACTUALLY suck, after all, and they just LIKE calluses on their long-suffering ass!

Sub five minute install for OpenBSD if you even bother to read the questions it asks. Mostly, I don't even bother. I just take all the defaults. Because they JFW.

Theo & team's concept of "security" includes security against temptation of Win-Weinies and Penguinista de-trained "script-kiddie" MENTAL MASTURBATORS finding cause to piss in the soup. Because they can piss in soup.

Try it and see.

It needs NO expertise. "Experts" already designed it so it could be used, even by IDIOTS!

I don't use it because I am a Unix Wizard. I use it because I am grown too old, tired and lazy to have to even REMEMBER HOW to be a Unix Wizard.

Try it. Just Don't F** with it.

Just "pkg_add" what you want it to run - xfce4 desktop recommended - and USE that.

The "PF" firewall is already configured.

Privoxy will self-configure.

/etc/hosts is the only "extra armour"to block adverts, and that IS up to you, but one can "seed it" with an initial blocklist from the "usual suspects" in a New York Minute.

It is NOT AT ALL HARD!!

A six year old kid could do it. Maybe younger, yet, they can sit still for a whole five minutes?

My iPhone SE IOS 12.1 shows the New Posts correctly portrait or landscape.
But the screen jitters, until I cycle it through landscape-portrait.

My iPad was showing old threads until I refreshed the screen in each mode of landscape- portrait.

Now it’s okay.

I’m going to punt, and suggest:

Update your O.S.

Restart the device.

Hey, it gets you off the phone.....

(From a former MSN CSR)

Whatever it is, it’s either self-healing, or it’s being fixed as I type.

It's probably for "them" to fix, not us.

In the meantime, if you go here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/#
and click "New Posts" in the grey bar, you'll effectively get all the new posts since your last visit. Not as clean as going to the Home page, but it works.

Actually in terms of seeing - and selecting or skipping - it is more functional and works BETTER, if only because it is allocated the entire page.

It lists more entries, displays more about each one in its greater width, and is more easily navigated onward to 2d, 3d, 4th page.

It fails on my Android phone, and Firefox and Chrome on Windows. This is in addition to the Cloudflare problem that prevents seeing the threads on Chrome after it's used a while.

Thurday 9:45 am just found out about this, contacted IT just now to see what is up :(

(on edit) Word back is that IT was aware of the issue... there are no errors showing so it may take a little longer than usual to figure out why the topics disappeared and repair the situation....:ack2:

My iPhone SE IOS 12.1 shows the New Posts correctly portrait or landscape.
But the screen jitters, until I cycle it through landscape-portrait.

This has been a problem since the last site update. I reported it then. Apparently, it will never be fixed.

Development team here - we are aware of the missing Recent Threads module on the Home Page and are working to fix it.

We are also looking into the "jittering" issue that some of you are experiencing on mobile. Those of you with that issue, can you confirm the following information please?

1. Device, Browser and OS
2. Are you using the mobile version or switching to the desktop version on mobile?
3. On what pages are you experiencing this issue?
4. Are you in portrait or landscape mode?

Thank you,
PM

Development team here - the Recent Threads module should be back up and running on the Home Page. If you continue to experience any issues, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].

Thanks for your patience,
PM

Back