What's new
What's new

Car remote question/possible solution?

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I have the keyless remote for a Camry and one was destroyed in a watercraft crash beyond fixing, the other is lost in my house somewhere. I checked getting a new one and I don't mind paying a premium price now and then, but $390 for $1 worth of electronics just rubs me wrong. Here's my idea, the remote activates the car lock and allows the car to start if you have the remote in your pocket. If I could locate the sensor in the car, remove it and power it up, I could move around my house in various rooms until the sensor activated. Even if it were a distance of ten feet, I'm sure I could triangulate to locate the lost remote. If I pay the $390 I don't think I could look the salesman in the eye due to feeling like the worlds biggest sucker!

I have the keyless remote for a Camry and one was destroyed in a watercraft crash beyond fixing, the other is lost in my house somewhere. I checked getting a new one and I don't mind paying a premium price now and then, but $390 for $1 worth of electronics just rubs me wrong. Here's my idea, the remote activates the car lock and allows the car to start if you have the remote in your pocket. If I could locate the sensor in the car, remove it and power it up, I could move around my house in various rooms until the sensor activated. Even if it were a distance of ten feet, I'm sure I could triangulate to locate the lost remote. If I pay the $390 I don't think I could look the salesman in the eye due to feeling like the worlds biggest sucker!

Car Talk - Car Talk

This website is beyond terrible (the three-year-old was drunk out of its mind when writing it), but gives the information needed to (in theory) program a aftermarket Toyota keyless remote replacement. They seem to also sell replacements, but damn if I'd buy something from them.

How to program Toyota Replacement Keyless Entry Car Remote - Free instructions

Use the search terms "aftermarket Toyota keyless remote replacement programming" to look for alternatives, but I bet you can find replacements for under $100. Just be sure you feel "safe" dealing with them...

I bought chipped keys on ebay years back and had them programmed by a locksmith[more properly the car was programmed]

Appears same can be done with more advanced devices

fraction of the cost

I work at a Toyota factory, that definately will not work.

there is an signal that carries the code and checks often. its a hexadecimal code. good luck unless you build a piece of electronics that simulate it exactly. then you risk someone just getting in the car and stealing it.

and the $390 is for 2 plus time to program them, as they require 2 remotes minimum to do it.

Just because something "can be done" is a piss poor reason to do it. That is what has happened to almost all things (in this case the Auto industry and their "gimmicks"). :-(
...lewie...

there is an signal that carries the code and checks often. its a hexadecimal code. good luck unless you build a piece of electronics that simulate it exactly. then you risk someone just getting in the car and stealing it.

and the $390 is for 2 plus time to program them, as they require 2 remotes minimum to do it.

I think they said it was for one ($390). If I gave you $390 could you do two for me? I wouldn't feel so bad about giving a PM forum member the money somehow.

I got to thinking about your reply. I wasn't thinking about building any complicated electronics, but if I knew where the unit in my car was, the same car as the lost remote is key'ed to, I would remove it, power it up and wander around until my lost remote reacted to the unit from the car. Do you know where in the car it is located?

I got to thinking about your reply. I wasn't thinking about building any complicated electronics, but if I knew where the unit in my car was, the same car as the lost remote is key'ed to, I would remove it, power it up and wander around until my lost remote reacted to the unit from the car. Do you know where in the car it is located?

Figure your time is worth $40 an hour.

Such a module is likely to be located in the dash somewhere.

Minimum 2 hours to open the dash and find such a module.

1/2hr to remove it.

1 hour cobbling together a power source with the appropriate voltage and confirming it works.

1 to 3 hours wandering around your house with said module to find the key. Maybe more.

1/2hr to wire the module back into your car.

1/2hr to fix the wire you accidentally broke

2hrs to put the dash back together.

1/2hr to fight the one stupid plastic clip that won't go back where it's supposed to, even though you can SEE that it's lined up.

Probably at least another hour of unforeseen wasted time.

It's now cheaper for you to have just paid for a new key(s), with less likelihood of permanent damage to your car.

I'm having a hard time even following this "logic"..?? I have keyless entry/start on my Dodge Journey. My keyfob does absolutely nothing, no sound, no light, nothing except letting me unlock the door and start the car (without pushing the lock or panic button). How would your keyfob react/activate(?) just because you have the doohickey from the car on your person?

Personally, I would never ever attempt to mess around with what you are talking about.... I would spend a couple few hours searching my junk drawers, cabinets, dirty laundry, whatever, and if still nothing bite the bullet and pay the $400, even better if it is 2 keyfobs, tack one up over the door so it's always there....

A company screwing its customers by overcharging for a cheap item? Perish the thought.

But the, by now we all know of that racket, and how 'valuable' key fobs are. So who loses them in their own house? Me? I hang all my spare keys for everything in the gun safe.

9 years ago I sold a Lexus to a friend of a friend. Last week I hear from him...car's running strong but he lost his key fob and wants to know if I have another one. I tell him "Each car has two, and I gave them both to you when you bought it, so no."

He then starts going on about how he can't drive the car now...I tell him he's in luck - the dealer stills sells key fobs and he can walk 3/4 mile down the road to buy one. He seems completely taken aback at the idea - he tells me they charge $250 for a new one and he DOESN'T WANT TO PAY for one. Just another example of how the word WANT has taken over our society like a disease. I tell him every day I do all kinds of stuff I don't WANT to do, including pay the taxes that get handed to his lazy ass after he found a way to get on full time disability. Well, I left that part out but that's cuz I'm a gentleman.

Keep looking or pay to have them replaced. You're not paying for an $1 electronic item, you're paying for security and peace of mind plus the convenience that the $1 item gives you. The car and key fobs will have to be reprogrammed. My wife lost hers somewhere in a city park years ago and we had to pay the big bucks to have two new keys programmed so someone can't use that lost one anymore. Sometimes life's a bitch and you have to deal with it.

i was told the same thing about my 06 volvo, my 15 econoline and my mom's camry..about $350 for a programmed key fob.
found all three on amazon for sub $20 and digging around online i found a sequence of back and forth key/ignition moves that programmed them to each vehicle.
YMMV but it's worked for me multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No longer news, but thieves steal cars by using RF amplifiers to extend the link from a keyfob inside the victim's house to the car. Like if the keys are in a dish in the front hallway, or by the kitchen door on the counter. Find a device like that, and search your house with a helper in the car. You can probably narrow it down to a specific room. Or just look in the left-hand seat cushion of the sofa in the TV room. I'm sure it's there...

No longer news, but thieves steal cars by using RF amplifiers to extend the link from a keyfob inside the victim's house to the car. Like if the keys are in a dish in the front hallway, or by the kitchen door on the counter. Find a device like that, and search your house with a helper in the car. You can probably narrow it down to a specific room. Or just look in the left-hand seat cushion of the sofa in the TV room. I'm sure it's there...

Unless he's got a toddler(s) in the house.

Then it's in the septic tank out front.

Back