What's new
What's new

Carbide Bob is a lifesaver

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
I wanted to give Carbide Bob some serious respect. I had an automotive customer blow through some special funky CBN inserts. Long story short Bob worked over the weekend and got me 50 in under a week. He even drove down today which is a few hours to meet me to drop them off to get my customer running ASAP today early in the morning. To top it off he was only 15% more expensive than the CBN product made in much larger quantities in Taiwan.

I know most respect Bob for his great knowledge on this site but he backed it up in a big way. Kudos to the man :cool:

It would appear that any accolades given here are not earned no matter the effort put in.

The operation is a facing cut with a 1.5 max. finish spec.
Original tool has wipers, tried to reverse design from a used tool as there are no prints.
Mine ran 1.4/1.6 out of the box, originals start out as low as 0.4.
So basically .....,my supplied tools at this point are a piece of shit and worthless.
I'm trying to track down why but right now I just feel sick/depressed/kicking my own ass.
Bob

Don't worry I'm sure you'll remedy it. You will get the used tools & new ones tomorrow. Right now I've got the customer covered with a band aid.

Like I said folks this is not a run of the mill insert and a tweak here or there makes a world of difference.

Hey Bob . . . Fun being on the “hero-meathead” rollercoaster eh? (I know the answer and the sense of loathing that goes with this kind of gig.)

In the project you helped us with (glassified carbon clearing tools) that the final solution gave over 100x the life of the tooling system we replaced. We wound up selling close to $4million in machines in part because you helped nail the tool and carbide design.

Chin up, there is a missing piece of information that once known will get you into the game. Anything worth accomplishing rarely comes without extraordinary effort.

Taiwan don't work the weekends, so the proprietary design you develop is yours,
and only yours.

customer should be happy with only a 15% price increase, the tool will work better
by the sounds of it.

Back