What's new
What's new

Carbide insert hole configurations

Corn

Aluminum
Dear All,

I'm currently using on one of my lathe tool holders CNMG120404 inserts. These are with 0 deg clearance. I'd like to have some more suitable inserts for aluminum like CCMT120404, but I'm not sure can I use them as they have countersunk on fixing hole. Basically perfect would be CCMG but nobody does it. This tool holder doesn't have screw to hold the insert rather than pin which pulls the insert towards the holder when screw in holder is tightened. I've tried to search answer to this but can't find any. So my guestion is, is it suitable replacement insert?
Or any other suggestion for insert which would be more suitable for ALU and plastics?

insert_hole_configurations.JPG

Thank you in advance.

If you want to use positive rake/clearance CC.. inserts, you really need a different holder than the one you use for negative rake/zero clearance CN.. inserts. It's not just a matter of the screw, the whole geometry of the pocket holding the insert is different.

Decide what lead angle you want to use with your CC.. inserts, then buy the appropriate holder. Does not have to be a premium brand or match the brand of your inserts, any decent make will do.

CCMG is not a "valid combination".

Korloy comes to my mind first as I happen to remember their aluminium specific codes
CNMG-HA-H01 Turning Inserts | Cutwel - Turning Insert Supplier

Or buy CCMT09T03 sized holder, more selection and availability in that size.

CNGG fits the same holder as CNMG and is pretty often aluminium specific. (different tolerance, usually in practice also sharper)
TKP toolservice in here sells for example Lamina CNGG inserts 2. Vaihtopalatyokalut

Back