What's new
What's new

CARBOLOY BBA-6 and BBA-7 Adjustable Boring Bar Hardware

CC

Aluminum
I have a CARBOLOY BBA-6 Bar with a BTA6 Head and a BBA-7 bar with a BTA173 head.
They both take triangle inserts, a shim and a lock screw.
TNMG322 insert with NL-34L screw and a 323 shim will fit the BBA-7 perfectly.
But the insert and shim will not fit into the BBA-6 bar and allow the screw to thread into the pocket.
There doesn't seem to be any damage to the seat. It looks perfect but there definitely is less clearance between the lock screw and
the edge of the pocket on the BBA-6 bar.

Can someone tell me if the heads actually take different part numbers?
It seems like the insert and shim need to be just a beat smaller....

And if someone has a sheet showing what parts are supposed to be used in those CARBOLOY BBA style units, I sure would appreciate a copy.

Thank you!

Chuck

The insert, shim and screw belong with the head number.
As attached you have the correct for a 173.

I can not find a BTA6, you may have a BTA163P as shown in the second attachment.
This uses a positive rake insert and can be identified by the positive rake or tilt of the pocket lengthwise in the bar, (I circled it on the drawing).
Note also the front (top left) view. The 173 has a 8 degree negative or tilt down when viewed from the front while the 163 sits flat in this axis.
Since this "P" head would have positive or angled pocket walls the negative insert and shim you are trying would not quite fit but be close.

I can email you the scans for the bar and clamp also.
Apologize for not fast response to your previous e-mail but the BTA6 tossed me for a loop until you said more here which led me to a different track.
I'm still not sure if this guess is right........
Bob

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 38
  • BTA163.jpg
    BTA163.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 35
I think you are 100% correct. I'll look tomorrow morning.
Thank you very much for your help.
Meeting people that know things is wonderful!

Thanks!

Back