What's new
What's new

Carla

Bummer. I heard that in the Ox video and wondered if it was the same Carla.. had to be. Enjoyed her posts in the SB forum.

I found this snippet from one of her posts:

For a bit of perspective, I've been around the machine trades since the early '60's, but was never in the 'big-time' in the field, so to speak....never more than being one of the owners of a little 'hole-in-the-wall' small jobbing/sub-contract shop, where we sweated blood trying to get the work out, do right by the clients, and meet the payroll at the end of the week.....yes, we were chasing that famous and elusive American fantasy of 'a good personal draw, and an net return on investment when the smoke clears'.....

Sad. When I saw Carla post on a topic, I knew I was going to learn something good.

I recall her writing about having a substantial archive of manufacturing and history from Columbia vise co. It included a lot of detailed competitive info on other manufacturer's vises. At one point there was talk of making a vise book, but there wasn't a lot of demand or time. I hope that archive gets passed along to someone appropriate.

Sad to hear that. Hadn't seen her post in a long time. I checked her profile, her last login was Jan 6th of this year.

A search for "Carla Satra obituary" revealed nothing.

I couldn't find an obit but found out her wife (Trish, Carla used to mention her often) died about 10 years ago rather tragically. Carla had developed around the same time as I recall lung problems, ironically after quitting smoking, apparently the smoke was keeping it at bay.

I'm a little surprised how little reaction Carla's passing brought, but she was a way more active poster back 15-20 years ago (even Chaski days), and there's a whole group of newer folks who just wouldn't remember her or Troup or Norm, JimK, and many others.

Her name was Carla Satra, from San Jose, in case anyone is better at googling.

I'm very sad to hear of Carla's passing, her posts were always full of knowledge and experience. I still reference her descriptions of concrete bases for lightweight lathes to get better work out of them during WWII. She was one of the local machinists I most hoped to run into over the years. Unfortunately that never came to pass.

People like Carla are what made PM amazing, and knowledge like hers can't be replaced. Best wishes to her friends and family, she is missed.

Picking up off screwmachine's full-name info, but even so, Google isn't finding one just yet. Might be depending on a local newspaper's publication cycle?

Does find leads to old ones for Trish which mention Carla as surviving spouse at the time:

Patricia Elaine Gibbons WA6UBE (sk) - CMP Forums

Carla was I believe briefly the moderator for the south bend forum. As an aside the letters/numbers are an amateur radio
call sign, the (sk) signifies 'silent key.'

Lose one of us, it hurts us all.

....I'm a little surprised how little reaction Carla's passing brought, but she was a way more active poster back 15-20 years ago (even Chaski days), and there's a whole group of newer folks who just wouldn't remember her.....

A lot of old forum members who knew her have moved on to other places on the web. Last few years PM has become a bit of a toxic pit. I see on numerous other forums, usernames I haven't seen post on PM in years. A bit of a brain drain.

She was always knowledgeable and polite. Attributes that have decreased in priority on PM ... :(

A lot of old forum members who knew her have moved on to other places on the web. Last few years PM has become a bit of a toxic pit. I see on numerous other forums, usernames I haven't seen post on PM in years. A bit of a brain drain.

She was always knowledgeable and polite. Attributes that have decreased in priority on PM ... :(

I'm very saddened to see that Carla died. I've missed her here in recent years. She did have a few posts in 2018. Yes she was always knowledgeable and polite. I think part of me hoped that somehow we might meet someday, after all we were both in northern California.

David

Back