What's new
What's new

Carriage Stops -- is there a standard way size?

abstruse

Plastic
I have a ~14" x 40" overseas (unknown brand) lathe and I'd like to get a better (e.g. micrometer) carriage stop. I see lots advertised, new and used, but I have no way of knowing whether they'd fit my ways.

How can I figure out what stops will fit? Thanx.

Nope! No standard on them.

It's called make your own. In my 50 plus years running lathes, I have never used one or ever had a need for one. What I do have is a clamp on my ways that holds a 1"-2" travel dial indicator and that's all I've ever used. I don't really care for travel dials neither.

Ken

1. Make your own.

2. Buy one and return it if it cannot be made to work. repeat as required.

One came with my lathe 35 years ago and I think I have used it on one or two jobs in that time. It works very well when you need it.

Larry

Make one, make it an indexing turret stop while your at it, with tapered roller bearings for no slop.

I have found that a Kant Twist clamp is made just right to fit on most ways due to their design. It's easy enough to attach a hard stop or dial indicator to the clamp and it is quick and convenient to put on because the handle is sticking out at you. They are pricey little devils but fast and easy.

I have a ~14" x 40" overseas (unknown brand) lathe and I'd like to get a better (e.g. micrometer) carriage stop. I see lots advertised, new and used, but I have no way of knowing whether they'd fit my ways.

How can I figure out what stops will fit? Thanx.

Bypass the issue.

Don't use the ways as the attach point.

Look at a Monarch 10EE, if only because there are plenty of photos around of the use of a rod with notches in it for gross position setting. Any stock "rack" salvaged or new can also serve.

Their system has some other features, but you don't NEED (all of) those.

.. so long as:

- you can find or add a fixed reference point on the carriage.

- you can find a place to add a bracket attach point.

- you can fab a bracket from attach point to the line of the "impact pad"

Thereafter, one may opt for:

- "discouraging" of movement beyond your preset point as a "stop", (but have a care!! Power surfacing is not meant to be put to a contest to see what breaks first).

- "detecting" position with a microswitch or optical sensor

- "display" of position with a dial indicator or the LCD display on an adaptad/ cut-down caliper. Cheap enough it won't break the bank to alter one.

Otherwise the Kant-Twist clamp and some minor bits and you are functional, even if not beautiful.

As others have suggested, just make one. I made the one pictured from aluminum, using a bandsaw and a file (I don't have a milling machine). A rod screws into the side of the carriage stop clamp to act as a hard stop, and stores in the clamp itself when I want to use the dial indicator instead. The whole affair is clamped to the bed with a large knob, no wrench needed.

Mike

Carriage stop 1.jpg Carriage stop 2.jpg

As others have suggested, just make one. I made the one pictured from aluminum, using a bandsaw and a file (I don't have a milling machine). A rod screws into the side of the carriage stop clamp to act as a hard stop, and stores in the clamp itself when I want to use the dial indicator instead. The whole affair is clamped to the bed with a large knob, no wrench needed.

Mike

View attachment 300389 View attachment 300390

LOL! Bandsaw, files, redneck engine-turned finish to look better than store-bought.. Prolly WORKS better, too?

Nice one!

Newsfeeds as they are, good to see evidence not ALL of Seattle area is FUBAR!

:D

Back