What's new
What's new

Carvesmart V.S. DoveLock: which to choose?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
I'm considering investing in a dovetail type of quick-change system for the vise. I don't see a big difference between the Carvesmart and the DoveLock. Which one should I go with?

Thanks!
gm

I've only used Carvesmart and have been happy. Maritool (and other distributors) carry Carvesmart and the few times I've contacted Carvesmart directly I've had excellent customer service.

CarveSmart, all day and every day.

1- CS offers a wider variety of jaws. Precision ground hard jaws to flippable extrusions you can cut to length and lot in-between. Kurt offers soft jaws only. Of course, you can make your own jaws with either system (I buy a couple of sticks and make a batch of soft jaws for my CarveSmart equipped Orange every few months).

2- CS's smart stop (basically a dowel pin in the back of the jaw that mates to a precision slot in the Carve Smart receiver) is way more elegant and accurate than Kurt's workstop system.

3- I don't think Kurt has had an original idea since the original angle lock, and their whole thing is basically a direct ripoff of CarveSmart, which is super super scummy.

Well, if you are still in consideration phase, the Accusnap from Te-Co ( in my opinion anyway ) is superior to both of them: http://catalog.te-co.com/category/accusnap-jaws-parallels

Is Te-Co making their own? I thought a lot of what they sold were rebranded items, like any of their spring loaded devices, which are identical to what Carr-Lane sells. Although now that I think about it, I suppose it could be CL re-selling Te-Co.

Back