What's new
What's new

In case anyone wonders why were so hard on Hobbyists.

Even after 37+ years I still remember what it was like to be new and ask guys for help on stuff ,, Some guys would help me out and others would tell me to go "F" off ... As I learned more some new guys would ask me and and I have always felt it was just part of my trade to help the new guys learn ... Even today I`m on here looking for some information I need and if I can`t find it, I plan to ask ...

Even after 37+ years I still remember what it was like to be new and ask guys for help on stuff ,, Some guys would help me out and others would tell me to go "F" off ... As I learned more some new guys would ask me and and I have always felt it was just part of my trade to help the new guys learn ... Even today I`m on here looking for some information I need and if I can`t find it, I plan to ask ...

Yabutt, you won't lie, or sugarcoat it....

Well, yeah, but the guy said Fanuc and it was PC based stuff

People try to be helpful but if you cannot accurately describe what gear you are running you are a timewaster and I see his point

Well, yeah, but the guy said Fanuc and it was PC based stuff

People try to be helpful but if you cannot accurately describe what gear you are running you are a timewaster and I see his point

It wasn't "in-accurate"... it was an outright lie.

Yes what is described as a lie, or a error is frustrating to the extent one can not stomach helping much at all. Given the history of the issue I will say rather than swearing help off completely we can “Let your conscience be your guide”. Then important also once a descision to help or not then take ownership for your descision.

I have a suggestion,
If you don't like the question,
Just ignore the cry,
And let others reply.

While many are too busy,
To deal with a tizzy,
Some of us don't mind,
Helping the uninformed kind.

This thread is in the CNC forum, regardless the content, it's important to understand why we run the non-professionals off before they waste a couple days.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/i-have-problem-x-axis-fanuc-lathe-357948/

Hey Rob.....
What was wasted, explain the wham-bule-lance to me.
A F-puck and then a PC. Is this what has your ire up?
Did you really spend days of your time?
There will always be silly,silly things and you have to cut some slack when what is posted is not what you expected or thought.
Maybe lighten up a bit on those with less experience.
We were all amateurs once, it is so bad to forget that
As pointed out to me a very long time back, "professional" does not mean you are are good, it simply says that you get paid.
The OP may indeed be a "pro".

Bob (where is my stick poke icon.....:))

Isn't the post referenced a troll? Isn't that the idea: ask something fantastic, impossible, wrong etc with the whole goal to disrupt, create dissension or disillusionment with a reliable source of good information? And it worked too. This seems to happen at least daily on this site.

Why not have real credentials to gain access to this site? Or pay, even a token amount. Or rate contributors, questions and answers both like shopping sites. Then let readers choose what level of questions to read.

So, the troll was run off and how many other potential contributors who simply read the post, didn't understand it was a troll and thought this site is not friendly.....

OK, back to arguing about the troll's post....

I think the bigger issue is the OP was leading to believe that the issue was with a FANUC control not a Jerry built Rube Goldberg machine with a computer duck taped to it

All learning is good learning. Esp if it makes us curious about things outside our routine. Methinks that might inspire lateral thinking?

2CW

L7

Hey Rob.....
What was wasted, explain the wham-bule-lance to me.
A F-puck and then a PC. Is this what has your ire up?
Did you really spend days of your time?
There will always be silly,silly things and you have to cut some slack when what is posted is not what you expected or thought.
Maybe lighten up a bit on those with less experience.
We were all amateurs once, it is so bad to forget that
As pointed out to me a very long time back, "professional" does not mean you are are good, it simply says that you get paid.
The OP may indeed be a "pro".

Bob (where is my stick poke icon.....:))

And this needed to bleed into General.... why?

Give him his lumps in the original thread. No need to create a new one for additional lumps.

The reason I posted it isn't because I was so let down, or that I had invested my too much. (though, I think Bill invested quite a lot more than me) WAAMBULANCE !!

The reason I posted it here in the "General" sub-forum is that so many here feel the need to defend the non-professional. I'm not making a point on my own, I'm just posting an example of the reasoning some of us use for being short of patience with them. So for all the Samaritans out there that think people like Doug and I and others are pricks, can see why.

Problem is we also say things like "just post the question without mentioning your POS control". But ultimately it's just a very different level of communication. We are NOT talking about the same things. Let alone the lie.

I miss the :stickpoke: too Bob. :D

No, he lied.He was asked repeatedly what control he had and dodged the question to conceal the fact that it was a kluged POS.

As an inexperienced machinist just getting started I have several thoughts:
1) I read over the thread and was quite surprised (maybe shocked) towards the end when the OP disclosed the reality of his machine, I believe he did in fact mislead the forum...anyone who follows the forums at all would recognize early on the nature of the discussions allowed and the rules that apply and certainly would be far more straight-forward in the title of their thread
2) I greatly respect, and truly appreciate the incredibly useful and helpful advice and discussions I've had the honor of participating in...it seems to me that in exchange for access to this advice new users should be respectful of the time, knowledge and experience that is being offered
3) It is WIDELY understood, not only on this website, but commented on regularly on the hobby forums that this site is exclusive to machines and discussions generally appropriate for professional machinists....I find it hard to believe that anyone that has spent even a minimal amount of time on this web site would not understand this....

It seemed very early in that he didn't understand what FANUC stood for and thought it was a type of program code.
BullShit.

Post #1 His first ever post
-TITLE- I have a problem with the x axis on a fanuc lathe
So recently I started training for a cnc programer and I'm using fusion360 but the x axis will not go to where I tell it to. For example if fusion tells it to go to x5 it will always do it but when I measure the diameter it's 2mm or more bigger.BUT here's the interesting part. If i enter g1 x5 into the MDI it makes it how its supposed to. Also on the display it says its on x5(even tho its not) and the backplot looks right for more complicated parts.Also also we recently moved the lathe from one corner of the shop to the other so that may affect it somehow?
I'm still new to the cnc world so sorry if this is something simple but I will appreciate any suggestions and tips you have.
Post #3 His second ever post.
Thanks for the quick reply but the bed was level and the tool was good(checked it twice). I wont be back at the shop until tuesday so i wont be able co check the first two but even if those are bad how do you explain it working how its supposed to when i enter the move command manually.
Post #6 His third ever post
Im not sure what are the defaults but the program has both g54 and g18
%
N10 G98 G18
N11 G21
N12 G50 S6000
N13 G28 U0.

(PROFILE1)
N14 T0101
N15 G54
N16 M8
N17 G99
Post #8. His forth ever post.
I didn't bother with the wear settings nor with the tool radius because it was a new insert and the offsets were 0 (but now that I think about it I'm not sure because I usually don't change those settings)
Sorry for being so unsure about everything i recently got into cnc machining so I sometimes forget to change something and just leave them as default.
Most probably a bald face lie. Does Mach 3 even have wear settings? But lets still pretend we have a Fanuc Control.

I can go on and on. But my night's not getting any younger. You sure your'e not confusing Fusion (360) for Fanuc? As it turned out after 40 post's, it was his Cam (Fusion 360) that was the issue. It actual outputted T0101. Tool select & tool offset select. Who'd have thunk it? Turns out there's no fucking tool / turret change possible, so why would you need offsets on a Harry home shop, mach3 equipped, home shop lathe.

Did you read the part how he could MDI to the correct position? Fact that there must have been 100's if not a thousand versions of post processors written for Fanuc from Fusion.

This prick knew exactly what he had all along. His words.
When the original owner of the machine bought it it was a manual lathe that he later strapped two stepper motors and an old pc and made it cnc
Your not fooling anyone with this newbie protection. He waisted a lot of every ones time.

All the time perverting the accuracy of the answers he was looking for. And I'd predict those bloke's that are best equiped to help him, wouldn't piss in his ear, next time, if his brain was on fire. I know some of those contributors are at about $0.005 (5) cent's per second.

Regards Phil.

I concur, why is this being brought over here? There is no need to put this on blast in different forums. Thanks for wasting my time by reading the OP and this one. It has just done the same thing that people are bitching about, wasting time.

Jon

Back