What's new
What's new

Case hardened cut off

jbaucco

Plastic
I am looking for a cut off tool that can cut through 3.75 diameter case hardened chrome rod anyone know of such a thing? I am out of turret stations so I can't use a tool to cut through the case first.

Getting through the hard case is one thing, continuing on with the same insert, I have my doubts. Ceramics don't do well in the soft core of the bar unless you get the SFM up immediately after getting through the hard case, probably above what is practical to do. The ceramic insert won't have good chip curl abilities in the deep groove.

Product: Flat Nose WG-Style

Solid bar no hole? Typically 3" dia is about all most toolholders will go in 3/16" width. Sometimes you can modify a holder and get another 1/4" to 3/8" stick out. 3/8" That'd get you far enough until you melted it from cutting the case. That case is going to be your bitch.

You might get lucky if you stair step it as to gain clearance when you're deep into it. I have a Manchester I part 3 1/2" but that's it unless there is a hole.

Brent

I am looking for a cut off tool that can cut through 3.75 diameter case hardened chrome rod anyone know of such a thing? I am out of turret stations so I can't use a tool to cut through the case first.

can you not be creative and double up on a turret station? like put a short parting insert next to a drill or some face tool? literally weld a parting tool shank onto a facing tool holder etc...

CBN grooving insert would do the trick to get under the case.

Doubling up on tooling stations as stated can be done--just need to get creative.

You can make a turning tool station combined with a center drill for example. Post a pic of your turret so we can see what you have in there right now.

Back