What's new
What's new

Cast aluminum rod stock?

specfab

Titanium
I have some high-precision optics parts (lens cells, and related parts) to make or get made, that are in the 7.5 - 8.5" diameter range. They are rings, generally. I often make optics parts from MIC-6 due to its stability, and relative lack of moving around when the part is in process of machining and afterward. I am curious whether there is anyone out there that supplies cast aluminum rod from which I could cut round disks to start with. Of course I can do it with MIC-6 plate, and that is my current plan, but if there is a supplier for "MIC-6 in rod form" that would be good to know about. Thanks --

McMaster-Carr

I'm sure this is exactly where you get yours. But if not, these are literally just sheets they cut discs out of on a band saw. Seems inefficient to me?

I have some high-precision optics parts (lens cells, and related parts) to make or get made, that are in the 7.5 - 8.5" diameter range. They are rings, generally. I often make optics parts from MIC-6 due to its stability, and relative lack of moving around when the part is in process of machining and afterward. I am curious whether there is anyone out there that supplies cast aluminum rod from which I could cut round disks to start with. Of course I can do it with MIC-6 plate, and that is my current plan, but if there is a supplier for "MIC-6 in rod form" that would be good to know about. Thanks --
thick castings especially over 3" thick can have interval defects, just saying its not easy to get good thick castings. usually requires some sort of testing for internal cracks and voids. porosity is harder to see or measure often til it gets machined.

Back