What's new
What's new

Castrol Rustilo Availability

gkoenig

Titanium
I've been using LPS #3 around the shop and FrogLube on in-machine applications as a general steel-on-steel corrosion inhibitor. Not such a huge fan of either as they are hard to apply. Have heard good things about Castrol Rustilo, including that some of the versions are very coolant compatible (as Castrol also makes coolants), but:

1- Can't figure out which one to get, as there are about 40 different "Rustilo" formulations.

2- Can't find a supplier who will sell most of them in quantities less than a 55GAL drum, though some are in 5GAL pails. I really just want a bottle of this stuff to test and see if it works before spending $150.

Any sources?

I hadn't heard of rustilo before and am getting low on lps3 so I went to the castrol site to see what you are talking about. Seems to be 3 types of formulas with 6 formulations of each type, sems to be based on how long it will last. I had do follow a few links in the site to get to that info, here is a link:

Castrol Industrial Product Universe

Use the filters to narrow the use down for different types of metals or type of protection etc...

I've noticed a lot of the Tectyl products are very similar, Tectyl 506 is a thicker version of DWX32 available in a 400g spray can and sold by Valvoline.

My workshop is in a tropical/coastal environment, I've only used Rustilo DWX32 which is fairly thin and watery but leaves a sticky waxy deposit once the solvents evaporate. It's also has dewatering properties so it could be applied to parts machined with water based coolant without any problems. I wipe it over tools that are being stored, spritz it on the screws and fasteners as the zinc plated and black oxide fasteners will corrode without it. Anything ferrous gets a small amount applied with a cloth or it will get rust in this environment.

As far as a source, good luck! What I did recently was find others to split a 5 gallon bucket with. Got my cost/quart down to reasonable.

Did you try Zoro?

metalmagpie

Back