What's new
What's new

Cat40 / Cat50 question

Ivan Vegvary

Plastic
Own a Kearney & Trecker 2H horizontal mill. Came with about 5 arbors, face mills and boring head. All Cat50 tooling (along with the mill)
Browsing the catalogues I see a lot of interesting Cat40 tools at great prices, not offered in Cat50 versions.
Does anybody make a Cat50 to Cat40 adaptor? Is there such a thing? Most of my machining is pretty light duty.
Thanks for all replies.

There are two styles of 50 to 40 adapters, on one the 50 taper simply has a hole through it which a longer drawbar reaches through to the 40. IMO, the better one is slightly longer and the 40 is held in the 50 with an allen bolt and the entire assembly is placed in the 50 spindle with the existing drawbar. They are usually listed on ebay. I have a cat 50 adapter that can take either cat 40 or nmtb 40. I can't be positive but I suspect your Kearney & Trecker is a NMTB 50, if you are not sure which one you have, post a picture.

Ivan, post some pictures of the spindle end of your arbor. That K&T mill should have a NMTB 50 taper socket in the spindle. There are some minor differences between CAT 50 and NMTB 50 tapers. There are a lot of NMTB 40 TO 50 adapters available.

There was no such thing as "CAT" tapers during 2H production, or 2CH for that matter

21st edition MHB has the ANSI B5.18 still current as of 1972 - which was the standard for the NMTB taper series

Back