What's new
What's new

CDC may suggest that everyone use masks when out of the house

Milland

Diamond
Hi all,
This is big enough news that I thought it deserved its own thread. Suggesting that wearing masks when outside or shopping, etc. is a big change in current policy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...3e495c-7280-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

If they go this route, I'd expect a press release today or tomorrow. And it would mean wearing them at work too if more than a "one person" operation.

Edit: If you're unable to read the linked page, try this one: CDC considering whether to advise all to wear face coverings in public | Boston.com

I can't read the original news link, they want money or my online ID.
.... and we thought google behaved badly.....
Money to be made for basic news reporting????? Yes I want to trust this. :dopeslap:
Maybe true but I see dollar signs.
Bob

The kind they should be referring to are the cheap surgical ones, not the N95 ones. The intent is just to keep infected people's coughs and sneezes from spreading so widely.

At least that's what the point is here, it's hard to know what the CDC has in mind.

edit: read the link --

The Baby Jesus cried ... "The work has not been validated, peer reviewed, or published,” the NIH said. “To suggest that this has immediate public health implications for the spread of coronavirus would be misleading.”

The damn things cost $4 for 25 pcs, it's no big deal to wear them and if they help even a little, why not ? "Oooh, oooh, maybe this, maybe that, omigosh what shall we do ..."

Fucking idiots.

No surprise there. I thought it was more idiocy as soon as I heard that "don't wear facemasks" line. Of course they'll help prevent spread. Dumbest thing I've ever heard to say otherwise. And I get that they want to keep the healthcare folks safe, but everyone else deserves the same consideration if they have to be in public. I wonder if the healthcare folks couldn't just put the damn masks through a UV sterilizer and reuse them. They've certainly got those things in just about every hospital. Making asinine statements certainly isn't going to help matters.

It would seem that the big problem is keeping the rich ass-hat hoarders from buying a garage full, not that there is some super huge shortage. If everyone bought a few here and there I would think they could easily enough ramp production.

The problem with masks is that many will readjust for comfort.
This means touching your face which kills the entire concept.
Tis good if you might have the virus and do not want to spread it. That side makes much sense.
I'm just gonna pull out my vintage WWII gas mask and go to the store with it on and watch people freak out. None of that cloth surgical mask for me.
How much to pay for a full chem suit?
Bob

There's a few reports on sterilization methods for PPE on the "Mitigation" thread, and yes, that will have to be on the table.

The only good reason to have not suggested mask wearing from the beginning (or when we had an understanding that the primary contagion vector was aerosolized virus) was to reduce panic buying. After we're out of this mess, it'll be interesting to review that policy.

Sure, but that's training - just like the new emphasis on hand washing.

Also needed is training in fitting, and wearing.

The above linked document I provided says a scarf is better than nothing, and we might just see snow in the next week, so you wouldn't cause any scare going into
a store around here with a scarf.

Also needed is training in fitting, and wearing.

The above linked document I provided says a scarf is better than nothing, and we might just see snow in the next week, so you wouldn't cause any scare going into
a store around here with a scarf.

As long as you are not pointing a gun at anyone....:eek:

No surprise there. I thought it was more idiocy as soon as I heard that "don't wear facemasks" line. Of course they'll help prevent spread. Dumbest thing I've ever heard to say otherwise. And I get that they want to keep the healthcare folks safe, but everyone else deserves the same consideration if they have to be in public. I wonder if the healthcare folks couldn't just put the damn masks through a UV sterilizer and reuse them. They've certainly got those things in just about every hospital. Making asinine statements certainly isn't going to help matters.

It would seem that the big problem is keeping the rich ass-hat hoarders from buying a garage full, not that there is some super huge shortage. If everyone bought a few here and there I would think they could easily enough ramp production.

Black markets occur during shortages. Some will even buy items or steal them to add scarcity.

I’ve posted this before (I think), but I think I should address a couple things:

‘Don’t wear face masks’:
The party line from the Surgeon General was in relation to surgical masks and not n95s. There is no data to support that wearing a surgical mask will stop you from contracting COVID. N95s are required. It is thought that surgical masks will retard the transmission of COVID from an infected person out into the air/public. The CDC has always recommended folks with symptoms to wear a mask.

On the note of the policy being there to prevent panic buying —> absolutely agree. It was very clear that the government was trying stop people from buying masks so that healthcare could snag them up.

UV Sterilizers:
Hospitals do have UV sterilizers but it’s not what you think (and not all hospitals use them). Routine sterilization is not done that way.

Reprocessing masks:
Hospitals are currently reprocessing masks right now. There are losses in reprocessing — not all make it out to the other side.

Black markets occur during shortages. Some will even buy items or steal them to add scarcity.

As far as I'm concerned, if doing so results in people unable to get what they need to be safe, they can line the bastards up and shoot them. I gave away a couple of old boxes of N95s I had lying around. I've got a North/Honeywell full face mask with replaceable cartridges if it ever comes to the point where I really need it. I have been staying pretty close to the nest though. How about the jackasses partying on the beach in FL?

I have a full face mask I used at work, just need some new cartridges. That should freak everyone out for sure. Or just stay home and send the dog for food

I have a latex Hillary Clinton mask I bought last Halloween. Whenever I wear it in public, no one comes within 6 feet of me.

Back