What's new
What's new

Central Tools? Are these junk or decent?

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
My pop ran across a 0-4" boxed mic set from this brand. I hadn't really heard much about them, and he gave them to me. The previous owner didn't maintain them very well, but after cleaning, adjusting the nuts on a couple and adding some actual oil, they have a pretty good feel at least. Neat double-stack case. Seem to be U.S. made and a bit older. Previous owner was a "Harley mechanic." They need a little TLC but thought I might use them as a beater shop set if the anvils and spindles are square and parallel. I have a cherry Starrett 0-12" set so can always double check them.

20200323_130342.jpg

20200323_130329.jpg

This "Central Tools" was a U.S. company. They often sold into the auto trades. Today, Harbor Freight is using the name.

As for quality, my opinion is that they are usable but not great. Should be fine (accurate) as a beater set. Personally, I'm pretty fussy about both the feel and accuracy of the 0-1" size I most often use. Bugs me when I can't find one of the three Etalon 0-1" "Micro Rapid" mics around and resort to one of a dozen others scattered about.

Yeah I hear you on that. My "go-to" everyday 0-1 is a B&S that direct reads to .0002" - love that little guy. One of these days I might get around to trying a digital, just out of curiosity.

Yeah I hear you on that. My "go-to" everyday 0-1 is a B&S that direct reads to .0002" - love that little guy. One of these days I might get around to trying a digital, just out of curiosity.

B&S is another of my favorites as well. Nice feel. Ticks every box (carbide anvils, easy to read markings and vernier, solid lock, durable, accurate . . .) And the convertible friction/solid ratchet is handy. I've got a few digital mics, but apart from times I need to swap between English and Metric don't much use them. Not quite the same feel.

Calipers on the other hand - hard to beat Mitutoyo digital. Even the silk smooth B&S dial caipers don't get much use.

Yup, Central Tool, right here in Cranston RI. They're still around, although I don't think they are still making micrometers, mostly automotive and jewelry making tools I think. As stated above, never considered "top" quality, but certainly good stuff, not junk. For years, the 1-2 mic I used daily was made by Central, never had any issue with it. I now have Starrett and Mitutoyo sets and prefer their feel, although it's probably mostly in my head to be honest.

My first set of mics was a 0-6" Mitutoyo set. I loved the fit, finish and feel of those. No complaints at all about their mics from me. The only reason I got the Starrett set to replace them was to get the larger sizes and the fact that I ran across a set that was basically brand new, tenths- reading and with carbide anvils in a fitted box with standards for a great price.

I'm a big fan of the Mitutoyo digital calipers too. I've got a few of those floating around, along with the other usual suspects.

My pop ran across a 0-4" boxed mic set from this brand. I hadn't really heard much about them, and he gave them to me. The previous owner didn't maintain them very well, but after cleaning, adjusting the nuts on a couple and adding some actual oil, they have a pretty good feel at least. Neat double-stack case. Seem to be U.S. made and a bit older. Previous owner was a "Harley mechanic." They need a little TLC but thought I might use them as a beater shop set if the anvils and spindles are square and parallel. I have a cherry Starrett 0-12" set so can always double check them.

View attachment 282618

View attachment 282617

I know these people. They have a lot of stuff that is still made in USA. I do not think these are labeled made in USA on their website though.

Most calipers will work good unless some dirt/sludge gets into the threads. Keep them clean and calibrated and they should be fine.

I use Starrett mics and B + S. I have never used digital mics but I would like too someday.

Just dont drop them and take care of them and they should be fine for shop floor use. I would use a better set in my toolroom though.

EDIT: after looking over the pics you have they appear to be better made than the ones on their website. The ones you have look much better and if they are older they could have been made here. I know Starrett has an ebay/global version that is good to .001
The USA made version is good to .0001 and cost more. They look exactly the same if they were laying next to each other.

Central measuring tools isn't the same company as the "central" junk-asian brand. They're still in business and still building stuff state-side (at least according to this thread The underappreciated CENTRAL TOOL CO - and The Last Patented BEAM MICROMETER ?). IMO they tend to appeal to the low-tolerance automotive machine shops as they carry a lot of cylinder and bore gauge type tools, but I'd still put them in a similar category as Lufkin and Starrett.

Central Tools Inc. | Precision Measuring Tools & Welding Accessories

I've got a very old 2"-3" Central Tool Micrometer in my stuff at home that has an interesting (however damaged and non-functioning) mechanical/digital spindle. I need to get some pictures of it....

I got a couple other Central Tool items with the mics as well, a virtual clone of the Starrett 196 indicator set and some sort of "sled" looking bore gage. The indicators on both aren't the smoothest, can almost feel the gear teeth notching. Probably won't have much use for those. Definitely not in the same league as my Starrett, B&S, Interapid, Compac etc. Whether that's due to poor initial quality or if they're just worn out I can't say. I may pull 'em apart and see if there's any adjustment for gear mesh.

I am pretty sure the mics are quite old, and they're marked Rhode Island USA. As it was described to me by the fellow's widow, he got them when he started working on Harley engines quite a ways back.

These examples seem to be much better quality if they're made by the older R.I. company than the more recent Asian crap I wouldn't bother with. Most examples of the R.I. stuff was already in worn condition on the few occasions it was a company tool in the upper Midwest and I never heard the brand considered a first choice selection for private purchase. If it checks out to be ok I'd feel no shame using it as a beater mic for less exacting measurements. As for the indicators it might be fun project if you've nothing else of greater priority. Any attempts at restoration to some level of working order might make these a great starter set for someone new in the trade that doesn't have the money for better instruments. That's what I've always considered brands like this for. A friend or family member may also appreciate and value the story of the PO and that you've done your best on them. I've got lots of tooling made/used by people I never knew that make me pause for just a moment before I use them. Maybe I'm a bit odd in my regard for old things that have outlived their owners.

Last edited:
"... a beater mic for less exacting measurements..."

Strikes me as a sort of sloppy conception. A measurement with a tolerance that warrants any mic'ing at all in the first place warrants accurate mic'ing. Sometimes of course all one has available is a carpenter's wooden folding ruler.

-Marty-

Strikes me as a sort of sloppy conception. A measurement with a tolerance that warrants any mic'ing at all in the first place warrants accurate mic'ing. Sometimes of course all one has available is a carpenter's wooden folding ruler.

-Marty-

I like to keep the best mics in the toolroom and locked away. The ones that have been around the block I allow on the shop floor. If it has been dropped or got chips in it and needed to be recalibrated I wouldnt have a problem measuring +/-.005 with them.

If it was a closer tolerance and needed inspection reports made up I would then go with the nicer, more accurate set that never sees the shop floor. This of course would be after using the shop floor set to make sure parts are good enough for a final inspection signed off by QC.

I wouldnt spend top dollar on a set just to damage or drop them (this will happen dont think it wont). These cheaper mics are more than capable to get the job done for not a lot out of pocket.

-Marty-

For me a beater mic is just one I don't mind letting someone else use. In other words, I wouldn't be super upset if it gets damaged. They should still be accurate enough for general shop use or they graduate to the next lower level yet: just plain junk, AKA "MSO" - or Micrometer-Shaped Object.

I like to keep the best mics in the toolroom and locked away. The ones that have been around the block I allow on the shop floor. If it has been dropped or got chips in it and needed to be recalibrated I wouldnt have a problem measuring +/-.005 with them.

If it was a closer tolerance and needed inspection reports made up I would then go with the nicer, more accurate set that never sees the shop floor. This of course would be after using the shop floor set to make sure parts are good enough for a final inspection signed off by QC.

I wouldnt spend top dollar on a set just to damage or drop them (this will happen dont think it wont). These cheaper mics are more than capable to get the job done for not a lot out of pocket.

I'm the same way with our stuff. ALL tools should be functional within their specified accuracy and use, otherwise they get fixed or chunked, but the tools that are nicer and perhaps more expensive don't get used the same as the more "experienced" ones. A vast majority of our mics are old, but they still get yearly calibration and any needed repairs. We tend to use Starretts, Lufkins, and some Slocumbs on the shop floor, but in the Inspection crib we have some nicer, however still older than dirt, Brown & Sharpe and a few newer (late 90's to 2000's) Mitutoyo's.

Strikes me as a sort of sloppy conception. A measurement with a tolerance that warrants any mic'ing at all in the first place warrants accurate mic'ing.

-Marty-

-"If it checks out ok" was part of the post. Reading/quoting just part of a statement strikes me as a sort of sloppy conception.

For me a beater mic is just one I don't mind letting someone else use. In other words, I wouldn't be super upset if it gets damaged. They should still be accurate enough for general shop use or they graduate to the next lower level yet: just plain junk, AKA "MSO" - or Micrometer-Shaped Object.

You spelled welding clamp wrong :bawling:

Well, they're gone...heh. Traded them to a fellow who's just starting out and had no mics or indicators - he was very happy to get them. Better that way than just sitting around at my place not getting used for 10 years anyway.

Back