What's new
What's new

Ceramic Particles Wanted

Terry Z

Cast Iron
I am in search of ceramic particles the size of course salt or smaller. I have contacted two ceramic manufactures and have been turned down. They want to sell a finished shape. I am wanting to cast this into a part I am molding to increase its wear properties in a certain area of the molded shape.Thanks

I am in search of ceramic particles the size of course salt or smaller. I have contacted two ceramic manufactures and have been turned down. They want to sell a finished shape. I am wanting to cast this into a part I am molding to increase its wear properties in a certain area of the molded shape.Thanks

Could you pulverize some of the correct material and sift for particle size?

I was going to write the same thing: contact the actual source, not their customers....
You can always give them a story about prototyping for future business plans and ask for a sample.
Occasionally that works.... sometimes telling them that you are a hobbyist trying out something new and their customers don't want to help you works just as well....

Cheers
Joe

Saint gobain aka Norton make sized ceramics in a variety of materials however were in to aluminium and boron oxides, very hard as most ceramics are, it would be a case of not increasing wear resistance but turning whatever into a grinding tool, how about graphite or somthing
Mark

There is a media for blasting that is round ceramic bead, might be useful. Probably not a great idea to have sharp edged ceramic, as Mark alluded to. Alternatively, you might try round glass bead.

You might look at metal powders used for gas torch applied metallizing. From what I understand these are spray atomized, which means they might be roundish, rather than fractured and sharp. You can also buy ceramic powders, come to think of it, as well as tungsten carbide powder.
A brass powder might even be a good choice for it's wearing abilities, not because it is particularly hard of itself. But does kind of burnish hard if enough force is applied to the bearing surface.

I used to use UTP thermal spray powders. But you won't need the torch.

UTP Welding Products (utpsales.com.au)

sand?

(what kind of "ceramic" are you looking at and what is the casting material?)

Talk to a supplier of materials for plasma spray or high-velocity oxy-fuel (HVOF) spray. They can set you up with a wide variety of materials, screened to whatever spec you need.

Back