What's new
What's new

Change to the PM Home Page? New posts not immediately updating?

Milland

Diamond
Hi all,
If someone's already posted on this, I missed the thread. Which is kind of the point...

It looks like there's been a change to the way the "Recent Forum Threads" section of the home page works. It doesn't seem to immediately update with the newest replies to a topic, and in my viewing of it, it takes half a day or so to cycle to newer topics.

So now, if I want to see the latest threads and posts, I have to go "inside" the forum and use the toolbar "Quick Links", then "Today's Posts" to see what's newest.

If this is a purposeful change I regard it as not ideal for keeping up with a topic, and it will cut down on my visits. I did flush my cache and log out/in to see if it was my computer acting up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If anyone else has the same reaction to the new setup, please post it here (if you actually see this!).

Hi all,
If someone's already posted on this, I missed the thread. Which is kind of the point...

It looks like there's been a change to the way the "Recent Forum Threads" section of the home page works. It doesn't seem to immediately update with the newest replies to a topic, and in my viewing of it, it takes half a day or so to cycle to newer topics.

So now, if I want to see the latest threads and posts, I have to go "inside" the forum and use the toolbar "Quick Links", then "Today's Posts" to see what's newest.

If this is a purposeful change I regard it as not ideal for keeping up with a topic, and it will cut down on my visits. I did flush my cache and log out/in to see if it was my computer acting up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If anyone else has the same reaction to the new setup, please post it here (if you actually see this!).

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same difficulties. I've been rooting around the site and ran across this post. Hope it's sorted out shortly

For me its been like this at least 2 maybe 3 days. Each individual forum loads as it should but the home page is all jacked up on my end.

Brent

Well, I tried, but PracticalMan hasn't cleared out their mailbox. Here's what I tried sending:

Hi,
It looks like the home page isn't updating immediately when new threads or replies are posted, sometimes it seems to be lagging by many hours.

Is this a bug, or the "new normal"? I can't see any advantage to it, and it's making it much harder to converse or find the newest response or thread.

I posted a question on this to General:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ge-new-posts-not-immediately-updating-354296/

Would you mind giving us an update?

Thanks!

... it would be nice to restore how the forum worked before...

In my experience these things are seldom if ever restored to the "before" state, that is, to the state where one had things going smoothly and pleasantly.

The current cookies business is an example. The "before" state, as I experienced it, was a click on my PM bookmark that opened PM to the forums with a welcome Marty Feldman. By contrast, a current click on the same PM bookmark presents me with a black cookies banner, and it takes me 6 further keystrokes to log in and get to the forums in a way that lets me participate in them. That black cookies banner contains the information that closing it constitutes my agreement to the iubenda cookies policy. Since I would be the first to admit that I am dim when it comes to the fine points of cookie world, I gave what is presented as the policy a read in the hopes of learning something. I am sorry to say that what I found was slippery, minimally informative (intentionally so, to me) language and a whiff of a bad smell.

As for trying my hand at the opt-out offerings, that's another story....

-Marty-

I've just sent an email (or two) to PracticalMan about the Home page issue. Hopefully we'll get an update as to whether this is an "actual" change or just a bug.

The home page now seems to be lagging on new posts, sometimes by many hours. Is this part of a purposeful change, or is it a bug?

Here's a thread I started about it: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ge-new-posts-not-immediately-updating-354296/

It would be great to get this fixed, or at least a notice that this is the way it is from now on.

I've watched the DB under VB have to struggle harder and harder over long years, so this is not a surprise.

OTOH, it has never been a major problem of any kind, EITHER.

I "login" with a bookmark to my own "subscribed" folder, the "zero" mothership one:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/subscription.php?folderid=0

"New posts" in the toolbar is never current to the fractional SECOND. But damned CLOSE TO, most of the time.

Now and again - rarely - a poster is still EDITING something you click-on. That's to be expected on a dynamic and active forum-service. Just wait awhile, they "save", and it all works as expected again.

The core PM website and "VB" are actually faster than most folks realize they are.

The delays and bandwidth consumption don't originate with the PM server. Those come from the "many" third-party links the page-code "requests" your browser follow and load from OTHER people's servers. "Requests" is all those are, not core information, so...

:)

Hi all - development team here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We believe the issue has been resolved. Please note that the Home Page module (with the recent forum threads/posts) is on CDT time.

If you continue to have issues, we can be reached at [email protected].

Thank you!
PM

Back