What's new
What's new

Chip conveyor, problem with chips sticking - looking for ideas

Mcgyver

Diamond
We built and installed a 48" apron conveyor in a large cnc shop. Theh have a drag chain conveyor that pulls chips from a pit and up and onto our apron conveyor.

We're having a real problem with chips sticking to the apron conveyor. In a way, the drag conveyor and ours are acting like tramp oil skimmers - the consistency of the fluid that is causing the trouble is more like oil than coolant. Most chips fall off at the discharge chute but the small ones sticking are leading to a 4" thick pile in the drip tray each shift. We tried a couple of stiff bristle brushes but they quickly clogged up. Current thought is try an air knife or nozzles - blow the sticky chips off at the discharge end. Some of these air knives are 75 cfm and 85 decibels and we need 3 so its a bit extreme.

Other ideas? what about making our own manifold and nozzles - what spacing and orifice size would be best to blow the chips off but minimize air and noise?

thanks

Can you pipe the coolant over there and use that as a wash off, instead of air ?

I like the idea,.....it would be a project requiring containment and return of the coolant which they will push back on. The chips sticks to the drag chain as well, but it doesn't matter as it just returns to the pit whereas our conveyor moves out the "wet" area where coolant is and I can't see them wanting to go there.

Maybe wash the chips at the very beginning of your conveyor, just before it
comes up, out of the pit.

Then the chips have most (80%) of your conveyors length to dry off.

These guys Super Air Knife Claim to have the lowest noise/air consumption with the highest efficiency air knife.

"It is engineered to dramatically reduce compressed air usage while entraining ambient air at a ratio of 40:1. Noise levels are greatly reduced when compared to other blowoffs"

Some others make similar claims.

How about an Archimedes screw ?

I have seen a continuous parts washer that had an "inside" screw, outside drum
was perforated steel, spray bar inside to rinse off parts.

Consider a powered rotary bristle brush with long bristles. A stationary bar could be added to bend the bristles so the chips flick off as the bristles clear the bar.

If a shift makes a pile 4" tall why not just a bucket with a rope on it where the chips fall. empty and replace every shift?
Bill D

lol, there are several 20Y luggers filled each day. The 4" is whats collecting on the 4' conveyor's drip pan - the stuff that didn't fall off at the discharge shoot

What is the material being machined?

various steel alloys

How about an Archimedes screw ?

I'd be a heck of a big screw, they don't want though because of wear.

Consider a powered rotary bristle brush with long bristles

good possibility....I just have to make sure the next solution works for sure, We tried fixed bristle and clogged too quickly. Rotary should work but won't be cheap although its more important to pick the sure winner than cheap. We can charge them for it as upgrade, but can't go to that well twice

Back