What's new
What's new

chrome plating / anodising of aluminium? aircraft rims possible?

janvanruth

Titanium
a customer has some aluminium? rims of an airplane he wants to have a nice shiny surface.
they are not going on an aircraft ever again, it is just for the looks.
can they be chrome plated/ anodised ?

Yes it is.

Many aluminum auto rims came through chrome plated.

Likely your best bet is to find a company that refinishes auto rims, including plated. AFAIK the process involves plating with copper, nickel, and then chrome.

Cheaper option is clear coat, which also was standard on many factory rims.

Aluminum is first plated with electroless zinc, then copper plated. Once you have that, you can put on almost any plate you want. The nickel has brighteners that smooth over fine scratches and make it shiny. The chrome is in a very thin layer that improves corrosion resistance and gives it a blue cast that people like better than the nickel's yellow.

It is also possible to anodize some alloys and plate directly on that. I experimented with it a bit and was able to plate tin directly on an aluminum casting. The bond was so strong that I could solder a wire to it and in a pull test, the wire broke before the solder came loose from the aluminum.

I'm not sure that it was actually anodizing. It may have been similar to the process I use to plate beryllium copper. Using an 8% sulfuric acid electrolyte, I set the voltage between the ion discharge voltage between the part and a titanium cathode. That unplates the beryllium atoms and leaves a pure copper surface that I plate silver on. I think it is doing a similar conditioning to the aluminum.

Bill

Aluminum is first plated with electroless zinc, then copper plated. Once you have that, you can put on almost any plate you want. The nickel has brighteners that smooth over fine scratches and make it shiny. The chrome is in a very thin layer that improves corrosion resistance and gives it a blue cast that people like better than the nickel's yellow.

It is also possible to anodize some alloys and plate directly on that. I experimented with it a bit and was able to plate tin directly on an aluminum casting. The bond was so strong that I could solder a wire to it and in a pull test, the wire broke before the solder came loose from the aluminum.

I'm not sure that it was actually anodizing. It may have been similar to the process I use to plate beryllium copper. Using an 8% sulfuric acid electrolyte, I set the voltage between the ion discharge voltage between the part and a titanium cathode. That unplates the beryllium atoms and leaves a pure copper surface that I plate silver on. I think it is doing a similar conditioning to the aluminum.

Bill

Like what you said and I like your Indian. LH or RH throttle twister? If LH, you have my admiration, I always felt a crash was eminent trying to ride Lefties.

Bill

always thought that anodising creates a thin layer that is quite a good electrical insulator.
the tin plating was done galvanically?

Like what you said and I like your Indian. LH or RH throttle twister? If LH, you have my admiration, I always felt a crash was eminent trying to ride Lefties.

I have owned three Indians, had to sell the '30 Scout to pay taxes, still have the Junior Scout in the picture and a 741 bored out to 37 cu in. I left them all stock, hand shift, rocker clutch and LH throttle so I am acclimated, but it really isn't a good system. Trying to start up on a hill, you need the left hand on the gas, right hand to shift, left foot on the clutch and right foot on the brake, then another foot on the ground, so you run out of feets. The best compromise is to hold the right hand brake and reach across to the shift lever with your left hand. Nevertheless, I rode the Junior to Fort Mot, NJ and the 741 all over the Eastern states, a little bit of Canada and from Brownsville to Panahachel, Guatemala and back. None of my Indians ever put me on the ground.

A day without riding is just a day.

Bill

Back