What's new
What's new

Chuck Adapter for D1-3 to D1-6

MilGunsmith

Stainless
I have an occasional need to use some of my D1-3 mounted set-tru chucks on my larger lathe with a D1-6 spindle. Does anyone know if there is an adapter made for that, or will I have to fabricate something? Did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

For my set tru's I just bought cheap back plates from shars and machined them to fit, then your just swapping from backplate to backplate. Not fast but it works

I just bought a Bison D1-6 backplate for my 6" set-tru Bison chuck. It was a on a D1-4 for a lathe that I don't have anymore. As akajun said, you'd have to swap out backplates each time. There is no (as far as I know) a D1-6 adapter with the camlocks that you could just mount a D1-3 chuck backplate complete.

If you want to make one, I have a spare Monarch D1-3 spindle from a mfg lathe. Shouldn’t be hard to mount the spindle end to a D1-6 backing plate.

If you want to make one, I have a spare Monarch D1-3 spindle from a mfg lathe. Shouldn’t be hard to mount the spindle end to a D1-6 backing plate.

That is along the idea I have been working on. Its not a rush job. If I have to buy anything I have to deal with the government procurement process, so looking for an off the shelf part if I need to modify.

That is along the idea I have been working on. Its not a rush job. If I have to buy anything I have to deal with the government procurement process, so looking for an off the shelf part if I need to modify.

AFAIK, ladner.fr (and not only) can make this sort of stuff for you. So can a firm in Basque-country Spain. Bison, Poland, "might" be another.

No idea if anyone in the USA is set up to do it.

Similar need so I can use the very rich collection of D1-3 goods from the two 10EE's on my Cazeneuve. I also have a couple of D1-4 "integral back" items to do the same way.

As with Dave, I have a salvaged 10EE spindle put by, but that is a last resort.

Instead, I am hoping to be able to duplicate the D1-3 / D1-4 cone feature onto an add-on to the French-weird Cazeneuze plate, if not directly into the plate iteself.

Then ..pull the D1-3 or D1-4 studs, and back-bolt into their threaded sockets. Given the camming notch cuts-away roughly half the metal in each stud, bolts are also stronger. Not a bad move, given the extra hang-out.

That won't be as fast to swap as camlocks on the plate, but it won't need as much depth for the studs, long-axis, either.

Since all it takes to reverse it is to remove the back-bolts, re-install and "time" the camlock studs, there is less risk of munging the TIR than if the tight-arse backplate has to be removed and replaced periodically from each D1-3 "whatever".

Two new Cazeneuve plates should depart Europe in a day or so, but it might be a while before they are through US customs and in eyeshot. Won't know 'til I see them.

If I can sort it out for a drawing, I can ask ladner to quote it, as they make Cazeneuve style plates and could do it all in one go - hopefully for not a lot more than the already pricey Cazeneuve bare plates.

D1-6 host should be easier. Cheaper for sure. Cazeneuve's proprietary mount precision steel plates are roughtly four to five times the cost of commodity D1 plates.

I have an occasional need to use some of my D1-3 mounted set-tru chucks on my larger lathe with a D1-6 spindle. Does anyone know if there is an adapter made for that, or will I have to fabricate something? Did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

You could always make one like this smaller version that I made as shown in post #20 of this thread: Need a separate Camlock mount, ever seen one?

Back