What's new
What's new

Chuck backing plate stuck to camlock spindle. Any Suggestions?

MeanSean13

Plastic
I need to install a 4 jaw chuck on the lathe for a project. However, I'm stuck on removing the faceplate of the 3 jaw chuck that was mounted to the machine. It's a camlock style spindle (D1-6) if I'm not mistaken, but the faceplate won't budge. I've attempted hitting the faceplate with a dead blow while rotating the spindle but to no avail, and the cams are in the unlocked position mind you. My guess is that whoever installed the faceplate in the first place never cleaned the surfaces between the spindle face and the rear of the faceplate thus resulting in some contaminant to dry up and adhere the two together. I could be wrong though. Not sure if it's important but the lathe is a LeBlond RKL1340G (Brand Spanking New!!!) and it's equipped with Atlas chucks. Any suggestions on how to remove the stubborn faceplate would be much appreciated!

P.S. I am new to the forum and I'd like to say thanks to all you kind folks! I've lost count as to how many times someones advice on this forum has solved an issue I was experiencing.

Back