What's new
What's new

Chuck question Jet BD-920N

William Cook

Plastic
How would you hold a piece of 2.375" round stock(copper colored piece in the picture) with the chuck on my lathe? The spindle looks to be 10 thread and measures about 1.4 to 1.5" but the chuck and the spindle are original Jet manufactured. Thanks for any guidance.
IMG_0740.jpg

The spindle thread should be 1 1/2”-8 and if it the chuck screws on ok then what the others have said. Either there is a second set of outside jaws or the jaws are reversible. If the jaws are reversible the teeth will look something like this(). If not they will look like this )) and can only be inserted one way. Very often outside jaws are lost when the lathe changes hands, especially those lathes from auctions. Do you have a second set of chuck jaws?

Be sure the jaws and the jaw slots are numbered before removing...add numbers if they are not there...

What does the part end look like...with having centers or a hole it might become a face plate or a between centers job.
Yes the outside chuck jaws or reversing jaws would be best for first thing to try.
Copper surface likely easy to mar with thinking about protecting it some how.

You should know the spindle thread for future needs.looks like 1 1/2 x 8..good to have the length of spindle nose thread in your notes.

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Jet_BD-920N_lathe_manual.pdf

Thread may get locked *but it is not about the lathe it is about the job/part.

With having no centers or hole and no usable chuck a seasoned lathe hand might use features on the part to secure it to a face plate.
Such as the out-end bevel and the OD undercut...

...You should be able to flip the jaws on that chuck...

Those are one piece jaws; they can't just be reversed. You have to have a second set of jaws for outside work.
If you don't have the OD jaws and your chuck is a name brand that you can identify you may be able to buy a
matching set of one-piece outside jaws for the chuck or two piece jaws--either would work. I have a 6" Bison
chuck which came with sets of one-piece inside and outside jaws and I was able to buy two-piece jaws for it
based on the numbers stamped on the chuck. If your chuck is a "no name" you may be out of luck--either that
or you may have to buy several sets of jaws till you find a set that works...

...The spindle looks to be 10 thread and measures about 1.4 to 1.5" but the chuck and the spindle are original Jet manufactured. ...

If the spindle is metric, it may be M35 x 2.5. That is 1.378"-10.16 TPI.

I bought a new 12" Jet lathe in 1980 and ordered a chuck with it. Jet sent a chuck with the wrong thread. I think they had more than one Taiwan factory building the same model lathes with different spindles and did not know which lathe and chuck they were selling me. Then I started discovering nasty manufacturing flaws in the lathe that required a rebuild before I could use it. I am not a Jet fan. Anyway, I would not trust any list of lathe specifications or replacement parts from Jet.

Larry

Back