What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Dividing Head disassembly problems.

redlee

Titanium
IMG_1734.jpgIMG_1733.jpg
I have tried heat and a slide hammer, I am assuming its on a taper,I can't see it being threaded!
Any ideas, I have been soaking it with Pen oil for days.
Behind the chuck mount is an indexing plate which I can just see 3 screws holding it on which are only accessible by removing the chuck mount.
Thanks

Assuming I am looking at the right thing it is threaded.

I have two Cincinnati DH's and they are both threaded a very annoying 2"x8tpi. Luckily I have the factory 6" chuck and a nice aftermarket 8". The milling faceplate for that DH is like 1.5" thick and solid. It must weigh 50lbs at only 10" or so in diameter. Guess they trusted their spindle lock.

If you need a photo of any of it let me know. It's all dirt encrusted atm but still visible for the most part. Hope this helps out.

EDIT: oh, and the taper inside is BS#10 if it's a 10" DH. I would have to look at my manual for the size for a 12" or 14" as I don't have that size.

Ok John- I agree the K&T was much better with the NMTB taper and nose, but my Van Norman is the same setup- 50 TAPER with NMTB threaded face for chucks. Wonder who came out with this 1st? Either way, much better setup than the Cinci with the B&S taper. I don't have any factory VN literature to refer to so possibly someone else does. Bought the VN dividing head about40 years ago out of the local flea market paper and have been using it since then. It's about 30 # lighter than my K&T or Cinci heads, so it gets used more. Dan

Hi Dan - the K&T scan is from '39, but I have no idea when they went to that plan. As an example of their forward thinking, they patented both the flanged spindle nose and double over arms in 1913.

I.E., there were flanged and face keyed spindle noses standardized by them long before anyone thought of the steep taper.

Ok John- I agree the K&T was much better with the NMTB taper and nose, but my Van Norman is the same setup- 50 TAPER with NMTB threaded face for chucks. Wonder who came out with this 1st? Either way, much better setup than the Cinci with the B&S taper. I don't have any factory VN literature to refer to so possibly someone else does. Bought the VN dividing head about40 years ago out of the local flea market paper and have been using it since then. It's about 30 # lighter than my K&T or Cinci heads, so it gets used more. Dan

Last edited:
IMG_1770.jpgIMG_1769.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

Back together and adjusted, few small repairs are needed before I put the plate on and try it. 3 Jaw Cushman Chuck needs work, first light in who knows how long.Thanks for all the help.

Back