What's new
What's new

circular air knife/curtain design suggestions

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Good morning everyone, how was the weekend? See the attached picture. This is my prototype air curtain to fit around the spindle of my HAAS VF3. The intent is to create a circular curtain of air around the spindle, to contain and or help direct the dust and debris (silicon carbide grit and dust) coming off the tool during machining. A little more detail: the green section is the top, just a simple cover; the gray section is where the compressed air is connected via 1/8" NPT, and distributed; the red section is where it concentrates the air stream and exits a 0.0025" gap between the red and gray sections. The ID of the assembly is 6.825", and the OD is 7.45"; the overall height is about 1.25". I made the first prototype out of high density butter-board to prove a concept....it works....somewhat. I'm not happy with how wide the air stream is at an 8" length. The red section is tapered on the ID as well in an effort to funnel the air...I wonder if I need a straighter section?? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Markspindle_air_knife.jpg

Good morning everyone, how was the weekend? See the attached picture. This is my prototype air curtain to fit around the spindle of my HAAS VF3. The intent is to create a circular curtain of air around the spindle, to contain and or help direct the dust and debris (silicon carbide grit and dust) coming off the tool during machining. A little more detail: the green section is the top, just a simple cover; the gray section is where the compressed air is connected via 1/8" NPT, and distributed; the red section is where it concentrates the air stream and exits a 0.0025" gap between the red and gray sections. The ID of the assembly is 6.825", and the OD is 7.45"; the overall height is about 1.25". I made the first prototype out of high density butter-board to prove a concept....it works....somewhat. I'm not happy with how wide the air stream is at an 8" length. The red section is tapered on the ID as well in an effort to funnel the air...I wonder if I need a straighter section?? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
MarkView attachment 324842

Something like Dis' ?
Round Transvector/ Air Amplifiers Products - Vortex Air

Digger,

Similar, but I haven't found one that would fit into the space requirements that I have to work with...
Mark

DD,

Good question. In addition, the ones that I have seen are way too tall; I am limited to about 1.25" thick at the 7.45" ish diameter due to clearances with the tool changer...not an easy find, that is why I am attempting to make one. Also, a lot of the "circular air knives" actually have the air directing in towards the center of the opening, not around the circumference like I am looking for.

Back