What's new
What's new

Clackamas County. Oregon. Looking for High School Machining Mentor. (OT)

Aidan Weber

Plastic
Asking specifically for experienced Machinists in the Clackamas County or Portland area. This is not a paid job, but an after-school role mentoring High School Students in machining.

We have a full shop, with a JET Mill and Lathe, Tormach CNC Mill, CamMaster router, Drill Press, Bandsaw Vertical & Horizontal, etc. Our Manufacturing team runs these, making parts as required for our robot. Last year we were entirely self-sufficient regarding all custom parts. But we were limited by a lack of experience and knowledge. We would value any information/expertise that you can offer. Although we can't offer compensation we have a pretty well stocked snack cabinet.

If you would be interested in serving as a mentor for our team feel free to reply to this post or Private Message me. If you have any questions feel free to ask :D.

What we do:

We are a FRC FRST Robotics team. FRC is a competition based around using robots to accomplish a set task. Competing in a set scenario, unique to that year, participated in by countries world wide. This years "game" was presented by the Boeing Company. Entitled "Destination Deep Space". If you're interested in more information here's a link to resources with more information: DESTINATION: DEEP SPACE Presented by The Boeing Company - Game & Season Materials | Resource Library | FIRST. Imagine robots that are 2'x2' and 4' tall, completing various space based objectives, as well as "tactically" ramming other robots.

Clackamas county is large. What city are you in?

I'm really excited for when my kids start getting old enough to participate.

PM? I'd be more comfortable talking in private. I wanted to leave it purposefully vague, security reasons. But we're based in the West Linn/Wilsonville School District.

We would like as many mentors as we could get. So if you're interested, but someone else has replied. Please still PM or reply.

Are you affiliated with Clackamas County Community College? They have a fantastic machining program going. I wish I did not live on the other side of the mountain.

Not yet sadly, its another thing on my list. Would you be interested in being on an email list, so students could ask a question or present a problem and receive feedback?

PM sent. Robotics is a great opportunity! FLL and FTC are options for kids from Kindergarten up to Highschool as well. (FRST Lego League & FRST Tech Challenge)

Last edited:
. Although we can't offer compensation we have a pretty well stocked snack cabinet.

man talk about a high pressure sales pitch!!!!!!!

I am mentoring our local high school FIRST team as my grandson joined this year. I am now the lead mentor for the design team as the previous lead mentor has decided he needs to devote more time to a new job. Good in a way, no toes to step on if we don't didn't agree.

The kids were using Inventor when I joined and the school has an Inventor class, but no member of the team has that class! I suggested a student move a hole in a part and he gave me this funny look. We opened the part and I saw that he didn't have a single constraint anywhere! It totally fell apart moving the hole but it was a good lesson. I am trying to move them over to SolidWorks since all the work they did in Inventor is mostly useless. If you want a job after high school Inventor isn't going to help you get it. I am going to help them build a real library properly linked so they all share the files correctly and once that happens we should be off like a rocket.

If you want qualified employees step up to the plate and help them become one. Besides this gives you an inside track on hiring the real go getters.

Gabo,

:D So does that mean you're interested... it's a pretty nice snack cabinet... popcorn... chips... jerky... maybe some ramen if Electrical hasn't eaten us out of house and home.

Gary H Lucas,

Oh boy, I feel you. We use Fusion 360 mostly for our CAD work.

I'm assuming this means you're not up for grabs then... but what Team are you associated with? We're 7034.

Not yet sadly, its another thing on my list. Would you be interested in being on an email list, so students could ask a question or present a problem and receive feedback?

Absolutely. We are in the process of establishing our own mentorship/training program. Anything we can learn from you would be a great help.

Gary H Lucas,

Oh boy, I feel you. We use Fusion 360 mostly for our CAD work.

I'm assuming this means you're not up for grabs then... but what Team are you associated with? We're 7034.

We are 1089 East Windsor NJ. Our 18th year as a team and my first. I am trying to build us a CNC router which I have designed. I built my own small CNC mill and last season machined every part for the team on it.

The reason for building our own is because we have no place to leave it setup. So it has to be on wheels and fit through a 35” classroom door, but we still want to cut 24” x 48”. It also requires a complete enclosure for noise, chip containment, and safety. Cost was a big factor and I have scrounged up a lot of parts from a local junkyard, an old customer and some judious Ebay buys.

We have 50 team members and I am hoping other projects than the robot during the rest of the year will drive interest from the students. I have a complete foundry setup from a school shop. I am planning on lost foam casting in aluminum some of the router parts. The spindle mount, Z axis slide, etc. I did a peristaltic pump housing as my first part and was shocked it came out perfect on the first try!

Back