What's new
What's new

Clausing 59 series Lathe - help!

HemiRambler

Plastic
Hi Guys, Hoping there is someone put there familiar enough with these lathes and would be willing to answer my question. Back story: While preparing to move one of these I took off the saddle and carriage. No fuss no muss. HOWEVER during the separation of these parts I noticed a flanged washer in the pan that appears it may have come off one of those two pieces. PROBLEM is I've gone over the manual with a magniying glass and I STILL have no idea if it goes there - the "clue" is that it has been painted with the factory color so it seems it must go soemewhere on this lathe, but WHERE? It has roughly a .435"ID x 1.00" OD with a .780dia. shoulder - Flange is THIN .062" with a - it almost looks like it belongs to a steady rest - I dunno. Any help is REALLY appreciated. I'll get a pic in a little bit!!!!

TIA, Jacin

My 5900 lathe has no visible painted washers. The washers on the steady and follower rests are not stepped and have a black oxide finish.

Larry

That was GOOD ADVICE. a gentlemen there by the name of John Dalton replied, "That Flange washer goes in your fiberglass shroud for the hole that supports the 5c drawbar actuator. If no actuator then a long stud goes through it with an acorn nut to hold on the shroud".

Which makes total sense as to why it's flanged AND why it's painted. I think the mystery has been solved. Thanks to all.

Jacin in Ohio

Back